SqueakScolari's Sunday Week 4 NFL Recap

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
Well, I am going to try to make this a weekly thing. It will just be a breakdown of my thoughts on the week of football. But since there are already Tuesday Morning Quarterbacks, and Monday Bloggers, I thought mine would be different and I would do it on Sunday night. Let me know of any improvements you would like to see and of course, all discussion is welcomed.

Here we go:

Top Three Headlines of Week 4:
MCNABB WINS IN RETURN TO PHILLY: The crowd in Philadelphia gave former QB Donovan McNabb a standing ovation before the game, which saw McNabb’s new team, the Redskins, beat Philadelphia 17-12. McNabb didn’t have a great game by any standards, going 8-for-19 with a touchdown and an interception. Meanwhile, Philadelphia QB Michael Vick was forced out of the game due to an injury and the man who replaced McNabb, Kevin Kolb, could not jumpstart the Eagles offense to a victory.

FLACCO LEADS BALTIMORE TO VICTORY: Ravens’ QB Joe Flacco hit TJ Houshmandzadeh with :32 seconds left with a touchdown pass to lead Baltimore to a 17-14 win over the rival Pittsburgh Steelers in a game dominated by defense. Flacco lead the game winning drive, going 4-for-4, travelling 60 yards in 23 seconds to give the Ravens the late lead. Both teams now sit with 3-1 records in the AFC North.

SCOBEE AND THE JAGS STUN THE COLTS: Josh Scobee hit a 59-yard field goal with no time remaining to send the Jaguars to a 31-28 upset win over the Indianapolis Colts (more below). Jacksonville survived 362 passing yards by Peyton Manning and a 196 yard receiving night from Reggie Wayne to give Scobee the chance to win at the end. Earlier in the week, Jacksonville picked Trent Edwards off waivers to challenge starter David Garrard, who responded by throwing two touchdowns and running in another.

Clutch Performer of the Week: Jaguars’ K Josh Scobee

As we have seen so far in this young season, kickers can make or break ballgames late. Matt Bryant has taught us in the positive and Garrett Hartley and Sebastian Janikowski have shown us the negative. The difference in this one was that Scobee was not suppose too make this one.
His team had gutted out a gutsy performance against Indianapolis and with :05 left on the clock, Scobee lined up for a potential game-winning field goal from 59 yards out. A miss would lead to overtime but Scobee lined up, booted it, and with room to spare, put ‘er right down the pipe to give the Jaguars a huge win over the Colts.

Top Team Performance: San Diego Chargers

The Chargers absolutely stymied the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday with a well balanced offensive and defensive attack, winning 41-10. The defense held the hapless Cardinals to 124 yards total offense, while forcing three turnovers, including a Shaun Phillips pick-six in the second quarter. Phillips also had four sacks, adding to the team total of nine sacks.

Meanwhile, the offense dominated their side of the ball, led by Philip Rivers, who threw for 241 yards and two touchdowns, both to Antonio Gates, who had a big game. Running back Mike Tolbert took over the #1 back duties from Ryan Mathews and rushed for 100 yards. For a typically slow-starting team, the Chargers made a statement against Arizona.

Worst Team Performance: Chicago Bears

Who would have thought Caleb Henie would have seen any snaps tonight? Henie was forced into the game late in the fourth after their offensive line, who gave up an astonishing 10 (TEN!) sacks, failed to protect Jay Cutler and Todd Collins. Simply put, the Bears submitted a dud on Sunday night.
The offense was only able to generate 111 yards total, including a -3 yard output in the second quarter, in a 17-3 loss to the Giants.

Tight end Greg Olsen led the Bears offensive output with 39 yards in receptions. Todd Collins went 4-for-11 with a pick once inserted into the lineup. The team failed to convert a third down in 13 attempts while picking up a mediocre six first downs. Not a night to remember for the no longer undefeated Chicago Bears.

SqueakScolari’s Week 4 Top Players:
QB:
Bengals’ Carson Palmer (25-36, 371 yards, 2 TDs)
HB:
Texans’ Arian Foster (rushing: 16-131-1; receiving 3-56-1)
WR:
Bengals’ Terrell Owens (10 rec., 222 yards, TD)
TE:
Chargers’ Antonio Gates (7 rec., 144 yards, 2 TDs)
DL:
Giants’ Osi Umenyoria (3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles)
LB:
Chargers’ Shaun Phillips (5 tackles, 4 sacks, INT, TD)
CB/S:
Packers’ Charles Woodson (13 tackles, INT, TD)
K:
Jaguars’ Josh Scobee (4 XP, GW 59-yard field goal)

Fantasy Player of the Week: Bengals’ WR Terrell Owens

Owens gave his fantasy owners a throwback performance on Sunday against the Browns, but hopefully he was in the starting lineup (only 62% started him in CBS Sports leagues). He reeled off 222 yards, including a 78 yard touchdown haul in the first quarter.

Fantasy Scare of the Week: Texans’ RB Arian Foster

Gary Kubiak, you have Arian Foster owners on lines 1 through 14. After Foster broke an unidentified team rule, Kubiak benched him for the first quarter without telling anyone and it wasn’t reported until gametime (what a dick, some consideration for fantasy players please!) So petrified Foster owners watched Derrick Ward run one in for the Texans during the first quarter, while Foster sat on his helmet. Thankfully, Foster allowed his fantasy owners to breath, with one of his explosive second halves.

Monday Night Preview: Patriots at Dolphins

For New England to Win: They will have to tighten up defensively. After their defense got all they can handle from Buffalo last week, it will be interesting to see what adjustments they make for the Dolphins. Chad Henne did well against New England last year and if New England wants to win in South Florida, their defense will have to play much, much better.

For Miami to Win: The Dolphins are going to have to find a way to slow down the Patriots offensively, which is still going strong. One of the ways to do that is not allow them to have the football. If the Dolphins can dominate the time of possession, they should be able to slow the Patriots down offensively.

DOLPHINS 28, PATRIOTS 24

Last edited:

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
very nice recap

I was definitely going wtf when Foster sat out fr the first quarter or so.

Colts have been upset a couple times already. I don't think it'll affect them much though.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
Thanks for the props.

Indy will bounce back fine, I agree. They played well but Jacksonville battled them hard all game. I don't see anything wrong with the Colts.