• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Spygate 2? Broncos under investigation

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Source: Rotoworld.com

Doesn't surprise me considering McDaniels has ties to the cheaters from New England.

What do you guys think the punishment should be if proven guilty?

The NFL is investigating whether a Broncos employee videotaped a San Francisco 49ers walk-through in Week 8 at London's Wembley Stadium.

The team's director of video operations Steve Scarnecchia is currently on a personal leave of absence as the team and NFL investigate the matter. Both Scarnecchia and Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels have previously worked for the Patriots, with McDaniels a member of the 2007 team involved in the infamous "Spygate" incident. More details can be found in the link below. For what it's worth, 49ers QB Troy Smith was in line to make his first start in Week 8 since 2007, giving the Broncos a reason to want walk-through information. We can't imagine this news helping McDaniels' job security.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
This pisses me off so much, I still hate New England because of theirs.

I think jobs should be lost as far as those directly responsible. I wonder about fining the owner/team for letting it happen...cheating is such BS, and whatever they do with punishment I hope it's strict enough to stop anyone from even thinking of trying this crap again.

I'm just assuming it's true at this point with my above ideas.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Filming San Francisco 49ers cost Denver Broncos, coach Josh McDaniels $100,000 - ESPN

I'm still a little confused, what exactly were the video taping in 2007... and were they taping the same thing in 2010?

Obviously cheating is wrong & should be punished... but cheating or not, no one was beating the Patriots in '07 (except the Giants haha) and cheating or not the Broncos are awful in 2010. I know that doesn't justify it or anything and maybe that's irrelevant but that's why these things haven't really pissed me off.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Filming San Francisco 49ers cost Denver Broncos, coach Josh McDaniels $100,000 - ESPN

I'm still a little confused, what exactly were the video taping in 2007... and were they taping the same thing in 2010?

Obviously cheating is wrong & should be punished... but cheating or not, no one was beating the Patriots in '07 (except the Giants haha) and cheating or not the Broncos are awful in 2010. I know that doesn't justify it or anything and maybe that's irrelevant but that's why these things haven't really pissed me off.
I think in 2007 it was more of a focus on filming defensive practice (correct me if I'm wrong, someone). And from what I remember it was something the Pats had been doing for years at that point, even when they were good. Does that piss you off more? lol.

To me, just the principal of it is what makes me mad. You've chosen a career in a game of sport, and really having integrity is one of the few things asked of you as far as a code of ethics.

I'm glad that the person filming was fired, but to me he's probably more of a scapegoat. I think that McDaniels should have gotten the same fate, or even just a hefty suspension at the very least.

This quote kind of made me mad as well (and the stupid look on his face next to it):
"I apologize for not promptly reporting the improper conduct of our video director before our game against the 49ers in London," McDaniels said in a statement. "The actions of this individual are in no way representative of the values and integrity held by myself, our players and coaches, and the entire Denver Broncos organization."
If the actions of the taper don't represent your values and integrity, then why did he present the film to you in the locker room (according to the article)??? :mad:

Even though I'm a Chief's fan and the Broncos are a rival, I've always respected the franchise and its history. This won't change that history aspect but looking forward it's not going to be easy for me to keep respecting the team.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Hope that guy the Broncos hurled under the bus got a nice severance package. No chance he acted alone, and no chance McDaniels didn't look at the tape. The apple doesn't fall far from the (Belichick) tree.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I love the people that still hate on New England for this.

Also, I'm going to call it now. This is going to be what steroids was to baseball, a slow revelation of incredible prevalence throughout the league. It's easy to hate the Patriots for it because they're easily one of if not the best team of the last ten years. Also, it has nothing to do with McDaniels, if you read the article. Not as much as it has to do with the dude filming anyways. He was at the center of both of these situations.

Another thing that people still don't seem to understand is that the NFL has really vague rules regarding this. You're allowed to watch another team practice, but you cannot film them. So in theory, you could write down everything you see and use that, but if you film it, you're in violation. If they want coaches and teams to not do this sort of shit, they need tighter regulations and they need to patch the obvious holes.

Lastly, am I the only one a little pissed that the Broncos are getting away with this measly fine and the Patriots got 750k in fines and lost a draft pick? Yeah, no bias against the Patriots there. :rolleyes:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I love the people that still hate on New England for this.

Also, I'm going to call it now. This is going to be what steroids was to baseball, a slow revelation of incredible prevalence throughout the league. It's easy to hate the Patriots for it because they're easily one of if not the best team of the last ten years. Also, it has nothing to do with McDaniels, if you read the article. Not as much as it has to do with the dude filming anyways. He was at the center of both of these situations.

Another thing that people still don't seem to understand is that the NFL has really vague rules regarding this. You're allowed to watch another team practice, but you cannot film them. So in theory, you could write down everything you see and use that, but if you film it, you're in violation. If they want coaches and teams to not do this sort of shit, they need tighter regulations and they need to patch the obvious holes.

Lastly, am I the only one a little pissed that the Broncos are getting away with this measly fine and the Patriots got 750k in fines and lost a draft pick? Yeah, no bias against the Patriots there. :rolleyes:
This is not as big as steriods, not even close. But it does leave a stain on the Patriot run.

SuiGeneris

blue 3
There's a large difference between what the Broncos did and what the patriots did. The patriots had several different videos taken by their people. Also the video of the Jet's was of the coach's signals during games so that the patriots could easily know what plays were being called so they could call the counter with ease. It'd be more akin to a runner at second base signalling the pitch to the batter rather than steroids.

Anyway, it's all pretty rediculous, and the guy who was caught Steve Sama..whatever was the same guy that was caught during the Patriots era. So he's up for permanent suspicion from the league.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
This is not as big as steriods, not even close. But it does leave a stain on the Patriot run.
How?

Also, why couldn't it be? If you've paid attention for the past decade or two of football, a lot of talk has always been around regarding filming, spying and teams trying to gain an advantage on their opponents. These talks and rumors have increased more and more alongside the advancement of technology (naturally). I bet if the NFL wasn't as lazy as it is and not focusing so much on the personal lives of their players and paying more attention to governing the sport, I bet they'd find a lot of this shit.

It's exactly how the steroid era got exposed. First there were rumors, then it became obvious, people knew it was happening but no one appeared to give a damn . . . then the league finally took action.

There's a large difference between what the Broncos did and what the patriots did.
How? Both teams were caught video taping other teams.

The patriots had several different videos taken by their people. Also the video of the Jet's was of the coach's signals during games so that the patriots could easily know what plays were being called so they could call the counter with ease.
They were fined for one video. Others were brought in to be questioned, but ultimately, it was one video they were fined for.

It'd be more akin to a runner at second base signalling the pitch to the batter rather than steroids.
Both are unfair advantages, it's why I found it comparable.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth NFL 14
StroShow NFL 3
D NFL 7
O NFL 16
Babe_Ruth NFL 3