Spotify, Pandora, etc.

Discussion in 'Music' started by Unity, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Unity

Unity Chett Chetterfield Staff Member

How many of you use Spotify, Pandora, or other music streaming services? They've gotten better and better in recent years, and discovering and utilizing Spotify has saved me a ton of money. I used to splurge on iTunes albums pretty frequently haha.

For those that use these services, what are some of your favorite playlists that you've made or that the service offers?

I have three that I tend to categorize my music into - one that makes me want to move (good for workouts too), one that is relaxed music, and one that makes me feel positive. I also enjoy Spotify's "Discover Weekly" playlist, which gets put together based on things you've liked. I've already discovered more than one band or performer I like just off of using that alone.

2. Envy

Envy Band Nerd ♫

I find that Spotify is a nice tool to fall back on for searching for new artists/songs I discover. I also use Spotify to check and see if an artist/song is available on there, because if it's available there I know it'll be available on iTunes to purchase (or in very rare cases it's available only on Amazon or something). It also helps me find exactly which version of the song I want to purchase, seeing as Spotify allows for full sampling.

That's the thing, though. I only see Spotify as a sampling tool. I abhor the idea of paying monthly (or whatever it is) to keep a library of music. When I find a song I like, I want to make a one-time payment for that and have it guaranteed to always be there, no bill that I have to worry about to keep it going.

Radio services like Pandora have never impressed me in the slightest. I mean, I found a few new songs through Pandora and that's nice, but Pandora is not always accurate at figuring out what I like. I understand it can't be perfect, but I wish I could set my own parameters for a station. Like I tried to use the service to create a station that would play only music from the 1960s and 70s. That parameter does not exist, it always wants to sneak in 80s music, which I'm very picky on.

Something's gone haywire with my PC and my Bose Wi-Fi speaker and so I can't get it to play my iTunes library. Trying to form a Pandora station I could tolerate listening to with it was not successful. Even if it played a lot of what I like, it would narrow it down too much and be playing the same songs too often (repeating within 30 minutes) when my tastes are at least broad enough to prevent that.

TL;DR version: I like my own library of music. It's the only library that knows to play the music I like.

Mirage and Unity like this.
  3. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I used to use Pandora a few years ago. It was cool. I enjoyed my Joe Budden and Mumford & Sons playlists. But it just became easier to download my own stuff and play it on iTunes. That way I can just play exactly what I want when I want and as often as I want.

Unity likes this.
  4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I have Amazon Prime, which comes with a pretty decent music streaming service. If it's. It on there, I still buy on iTunes too. The nice thing about Amazon Music is that my wife and I can both have it installed on our phones at the same time. This may be true with Spotify and others as well, but I haven't used those.

Unity likes this.
  5. Shwa

Shwa Gay As Fuck V.I.P. Lifetime

For the longest I was using Apple years ago, their iTunes program spending lord knows how much money on music. The only real use for it was that all my purchases bounces from one device to the next and I could modify the sound to my liking. When I switched to Samsung, I used GooglePlay and then eventually got Spotify, and I'm satisfied with Spotify. I have it on my work and home computer, along on my phone. I use it all the time, and I can share my favorite songs to others on other social media outlets.

~Shwa

Unity likes this.
  6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't use any of those programs. But, I may eventually get Spotify since a lot of my friends have it and they keep raving about it.

Shwa and Unity like this.
  7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Bought a premium membership to Spotify, haven't bought anything on or opened iTunes in 4 months.

It's fantastic, especially because of all the user-created playlists, I can pick something to match my mood AND find new music at the same time.

Unity likes this.
  8. Impaired

Impaired Registered Member

I use Pandora on occasion but not very often. I bought the wife a life time subscription to Sirius when it first came out. That is what she usually has on.

We both love vinyl and still buy records.

I still buy CDs and lately been browsing through discount MP3 albums, although I prefer to own the media.

Unity likes this.