Sports simulation

Bjarki

Registered Member
I know it's a pretty weird hobby, but does anyone else simulate sports events?

I've been doing this ever since I was a kid, started out with a simple 6-sided dice, team with the highest value won the match. It soon grew out into way more complicated systems and increasingly extensive competitions. I've done 'em all: hockey, basketball, footie, cycling, olympics.. etc.

Right now I'm doing a footie-thingy with a whole bunch of club teams from all over the world:

I made the club tags myself, lots of work, but they sure brighten things up a bit :cool: The player ratings are from here.
The setup is really easy: standings left, team selections in the centre (from last season mind you), system specifications top right and match-ups/results bottom right. All I need is a D10 and a D12. First I throw a D10 to determine the number of goals (the top list), then I throw a D10 for each goal determining whether the goal gets assigned at random (R) or to the best player (S). When it's 'S', I then throw a D12 to determine the position that is compared: 1 for the goalie, 2 for the first defender, etc. The team with the player with the highest rating on the position scores the goal.
And so I proceed until all matches are done :)

It's not the most accurate system ever (with the random factor), but you have to find a good balance between accuracy and playability.

Anyone else into things like this? :shifteyes:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
It's way too complicated for my liking. I don't really even like simulating games in video games. I'd rather just play the game.

Atreyu

#2 New Zealander
I like it dude. I love doing simulation games. When I was younger I used to flip a coin various times to see who won a wrestling match. I had a big system sorted out and everything.

Nowadays I stick to simulation games on computor

International Cricket Captain 2008- up to year 2018
EWR(wrstling) up to year 2010
Crcket coach 2007 up to year 2012

Bjarki

Registered Member
Cool Atreyu

It's way too complicated for my liking. I don't really even like simulating games in video games. I'd rather just play the game.
I'm not a fan of simu-games either, but this is different I guess.

It's not complicated btw.. It may seem like it is to outsiders, but when you make the rules up yourself, it's not too hard to remember them :)