Sports Rivalries

Discussion in 'Sports' started by The_Burger_King, Jul 17, 2008.

1. The_Burger_King

The_Burger_King Registered Member

After the discussion in the thread about the yankees fan being tasteless it got me to thinking of big sports rivalries. And there are alot, who are some of your favorite rivalries and which side are you on.

College Basketball - DUKE vs UNC - huge especially here in NC, I wear the Duke blue, I have been a fan of the Blue Devils since I was a child.

College Football - Ohio St. vs Michigan - I usually lean more towards Michigan in this one, Ohio St fans are some of the worse.

NFL - Washington Redskins vs Dallas Cowboys - I have always pulled for the Skins and will until the day I leave this place we call earth, and even in death I will have my Skins hat or shirt with me already told the wife to make sure of it.

dDave likes this.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I can't stand Carolina, so I always cheer for Duke.

I'm a diehard Ohio State fan, so my choice is an easy one for that.

I don't take rivalries in professional sports seriously. They just don't compare to the ones in college.

Other good college rivalries...

Miami vs Florida State
    Alabama vs Auburn
    USC vs UCLA
    USC vs Notre Dame
    Army vs Navy
    Oklahoma vs Texas

I usually cheer for the underdog in most of those games.

3. The_Burger_King

The_Burger_King Registered Member

I had forgotten all about the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail party, between Georgia and Florida.

Hi_Im_Tim likes this.
  4. bball4life

bball4life Alfred :: Gotham Hero

i hate it when people cheer for the underdog for no other reason than just because their the underdog. (im not directing this at echoes, just throwing it out there)

the biggest rivalry for me is the Louisville Cardinals vs.the kentucky wildcats. i always root for the cardinals.

Hi_Im_Tim and dDave like this.
  5. Major

Well in a sport like college football it always helps my team when the underdogs win because of how the polls work. It's hard to move up the rankings when the teams ahead of you aren't losing.

6. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

Of course the OSU/Michigan rivalry needs to be brought up in a conversation of great rivalries. I can't wait for the game this year.

I'll also bring up the Cincinnati Bengals and the Cleveland Browns. Those two teams hate eachother. The Bengals and Steelers is a decent one as well.

7. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Cards over Cubs
    Michigan over Ohio St
    Red Sox over Yankees
    UNC over Duke
    Dodgers over Giants
    Browns over Stealers
    Redskins over Cowboys
    Avalanche over Red Wings
    Maple Leafs over Canadians (barely, I like both)
    Celtics over Lakers
    Auburn over Alabama
    Mizzou over Kansas

To name a few

8. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I agree, however when I say professional sports I mean Premiere league Majors. Mainly because I can recall a minor league rivalry that introduced me to sports rivalries. Back when the WCHL was still around, our Fresno Falcons here had a HUGE rivalry with the Bakersfield Condors. Theres a freeway/highway that connects our two towns and so thus the rivalry was dubbed "The Battle for 99". I found a cool article that basically sums up the rivalry:

dDave likes this.
  9. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

The best rivalry for me as to be Montreal Canadiens vs Toronto Maple Leafs. They play each other eight times a year and by the third game it gets really heated between the two teams, and you always know it's going to be a competetive game. One of the biggest rivalries in Sports in my opinion.

Major likes this.
  10. Major

One of the things I love about college football rivalries is that they only play once a year. An entire year of bragging rights and the anticipation and hype leading up to the next game is huge. Who cares about the Yankees and Red Sox when they play each other 20 times a year?