Sports Cars

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
(Note to the mods: I chose to not to post this in the Automotive section because that simply doesn't generate enough traffic. But feel free to move it if you feel the compulsion)

Well, Talk about sports cars! Talk engines, brands, turbochargers, what ever the fuck you want about sports cars. What is your favorite? Why is it your favorite? Do you own one? Want one? Driven in one?

My personal favorite is one that I bet few, if any have ever heard of. It is called the Caterham L7 R500.

It is made by Lotus for a company called Caterham in England. It packs a tiny 2L 4 cylinder generating 260 horsepower, but, it weighs in at only 1000 pounds, giving it a power to weight ratio of 520HP/Ton, as much as a Bugatti Veyron. It costs only 20000 pounds sterling (or 34,000 USD for my fellow americans). MAde by lotus who first designed it 1965, it was reborn by both lotus and British company Caterham. They are extremely small cars that follow a classic design that is a throwback to classic cars of the first couple decades of the twentieth century. My only problem is that its a very small car, and being the tall gangly mother fucker that I am, that makes things difficult, especially since that is such an awesome car.
It goes 0-60 in little less than 3 seconds, amazingly incredible. Along with the Ariel Atom, this fills a unique niche in the sports car world where smaller is better. And I myself, wanting to be an automotive engineer (the guy who designs these cars), want to stuff a 2011 Ford 5.0L V8 in something with similar design. However, if I owned one of these, I would take turbochargers designed for 500cc go kart engines, and put 4 on to this mother fucking beast. It is thoroughly awesome. I first heard of this while watching Top Gear. Take a look!

YouTube - Top Gear Caterham R500 vs Veritas RS3

so, discuss!

Last edited: