• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Sporting News' current top 50 baseball players

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
SportingNews.com - Your expert source for MLB Baseball stats, scores, standings, blogs and fantasy news from MLB Baseball columnists

1. Albert Pujols 1B, Cardinals
2. Alex Rodriguez 3B, Yankees
3. Johan Santana SP, Mets
4. Manny Ramirez LF, Dodgers
5. Hanley Ramirez SS, Marlins
6. Chase Utley 2B, Phillies
7. Roy Halladay SP, Blue Jays
8. Derek Jeter SS, Yankees
9. Mariano Rivera RP, Yankees
10. Chipper Jones 3B, Braves
11. Ryan Howard 1B, Phillies
12. Grady Sizemore CF, Indians
13. David Wright 3B, Mets
14. Justin Morneau 1B, Twins
15. Jimmy Rollins SS, Phillies
16. Josh Beckett SP, Red Sox
17. Mark Teixeira 1B, Yankees
18. Dustin Pedroia 2B, Red Sox
19. Tim Lincecum SP, Giants
20. Evan Longoria 3B, Rays
21. Lance Berkman 1B, Astros
22. Jose Reyes SS, Mets
23. Carlos Beltran CF, Mets
24. Ian Kinsler 2B, Rangers
25. Zack Greinke SP, Royals
26. Josh Hamilton CF, Rangers
27. Alfonso Soriano LF, Cubs
28. Miguel Cabrera 1B, Tigers
29. CC Sabathia SP, Yankees
30. Ichiro Suzuki RF, Mariners
31. Brandon Webb SP, Diamondbacks
32. Ryan Braun LF, Brewers
33. Dan Haren SP, Diamondbacks
34. Francisco Rodriguez RP, Mets
35. Matt Holliday LF, A's
36. Kevin Youkilis 1B, Red Sox
37. Vladimir Guerrero RF, Angels
38. Jake Peavy SP, Padres
39. Joe Mauer C, Twins
40. Carlos Quentin LF, White Sox
41. Jason Bay LF, Red Sox
42. Chad Billingsley SP, Dodgers
43. Cliff Lee SP, Indians
44. Torii Hunter CF, Angels
45. Victor Martinez C/1B, Indians
46. Roy Oswalt SP, Astros
47. Carlos Delgado 1B, Mets
48. Carlos Zambrano SP, Cubs
49. Cole Hamels SP, Phillies
50. Brian McCann C, Braves

There's a few changes that I would make, like put Halladay over Santana, and I wouldn't rank Derek Jeter that high.

But for the most part the list is pretty good.

thevelvetsun

Registered Member
Jimmie ROllins at 15?! You're joking right, he has done nothing all year. This is clearly just a "Oh let's just list all the top names in a random order." Lincecum above Greinke I don't agree with either. Lincecum had a rough start this year.

There are actually a lot of changes I'd make to this list personally. This is "current top 50" not biggest names or should have been top 50.
------
Crap I keep forgetting: this is Sui lol. I'm about to head home back to normal s/n.

Last edited:

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sui, I doubt they take into just their stats into account THIS season but over a career and how good they have been. Rollins has been an outstanding player for a long time so it makes sense he's that high.

Dont get me started on Jeter...unbelievable.

SuiGeneris

blue 3
Ahhhh I went back and read the article and it's just the top 50 players that are currently playing. That makes more sense, however, there are still some changes I'd make. Not quite as many at all.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
A lot of people knock Derek Jeter, I personally believe he's a talented player, he's not top ten, but he's up there. He hits for average, he plays better then average and hes a clutch player.

What are your thoughts on Jeter Millz?

metsforever7515

Registered Member
I see five Mets I'm happy. :D

I don't really think Delgado should be on that list though, before the last half of last season he was doing terrible, and he's now on the DL until late July.

Wade8813

Registered Member
A lot of stat people argue that Jeter is one of the worst defensive shortstops in the game.

He's still a good hitter, and deserves to be on the list, but a lot of people think he's usually overrated.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
A lot of people knock Derek Jeter, I personally believe he's a talented player, he's not top ten, but he's up there. He hits for average, he plays better then average and hes a clutch player.

What are your thoughts on Jeter Millz?
I hated him in the late 90s/early 2000s but I was probably just jealous. I dont see the game today the same as I did back then....I was a little young to appreciate it all I suppose.

Now days I respect Jeter and I think he's a great hitter. He's not going to drive in a ton of runs or hit a bunch of home runs but he puts the ball in play, gets a ton of hits and is a team leader. He does have some intangibles...if that makes sense.

I do think he's extremely overrated on the defensive end of things. He'll make some good plays but he's not as good as Rollins, for example. That play when he goes flying into the stands was a good play but not as great as ESPN thinks it is. I would love to have a guy like Jeter on my team but to rank him 8 is a little bit much.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree with what you said, I felt the same way with Ichiro when he first entered the league, I was just jealous and couldn't stand him, but now I have out most respect for the guy.

I think you pin pointed something great, and that's he overhyped by ESPN. A lot of average baseball fans that don't know much about the game will think Jeter is one of the best in the leagues offensively and defensively because of ESPN. I think it's ashame, but that's how it works now and days.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree with what you said, I felt the same way with Ichiro when he first entered the league, I was just jealous and couldn't stand him, but now I have out most respect for the guy.

I think you pin pointed something great, and that's he overhyped by ESPN. A lot of average baseball fans that don't know much about the game will think Jeter is one of the best in the leagues offensively and defensively because of ESPN. I think it's ashame, but that's how it works now and days.
Rick Sutcliffe is easily the worst. If you thought Joe Morgan's man crush on Gary Sheffield was bad then look at Sut in regards to Jeter. Its unbelievable.