• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PC Games Spore Vs Creationism

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
I'm sorry if this is old news but I only came across it today. Anti Spore

It's basically a blog stating how spore is a negative influence as it promotes evolution and not the word of God. Now obviously, I find this incredibly short sighted for a few reasons. Once again it's a case of "lets blame video games for what's wrong with society" and that arguement holds such little ground from a logical stand point that I'm not going to get into it but it has been discussed at length in other threads.

I suppose my biggest problem with this is that in Spore you play the role of a higher force that creates, maintains and watches over the development of a whole planet. Now does that sound like any religions to you guys? So this "concerned parent" has not only overlooked the fact that games are not representational of real life, she's also overlooked one of the fundamental aspects of the game she is protesting against. A further point that people don't actually look at what they are trying to destroy and see only what helps their cause. Ok Spore could be considered to promote the evolution angle which is admittantly in opposition to Creationism but it is by no means "anti-god". It's just another sad case of someone misdirecting their anger at an industry that they don't understand.

The other thing that saddens me though is some people's responses, even if they are technically on my side. Here's an example

Satan on 10 Sep 2008 at 2:24 am 1
Christian people are fucking stupid. Go worship a dead guy and your fucking cloud people.
Now I think the case against her's is solid enough to stand it's ground without the need to resort to such insults and childish responses. It just makes us look intolerant which is not the case, atleast for me anyway. If anything, it is her who is being intolerant of our right to not accept Creationsim and to play games which depict things that are contrary to her belief. So yeah I'm all for picking her arguement apart but atleast do it with some class, theres no need to resort to "GOD IS TEH SUXOR" etc.

lryusaki

Registered Member
HAHA wow people actually are bitching about some shit like that. Im a christian and i dont give a shit if people make games that are against creationism (which spore isnt against creationism at all).
I hate when people try to pull religion into everything though. Some Christians act like they are hitler and there beliefs must go with everyone in the world. Spore still rocks and whoever bitched about it is stupid because it kind of promotes creationism.

R1pperZ

Registered Member
Biggest bunch of bullshit ever. I don't really have much against religion but sometimes they are the stupidest hardheaded fools on this planet.

If you don't want to believe in evolution then that's fine, but don't attack a fucking video game that pokes fun with the facts we are learning about the different way our species are designed to change and evolve.

We've proved with tons of evidence that god did not create the beings we have on the planet today. If you still want to argue that "God" created life then the only possibility is that god created evolution.

Smarten up people, vague beliefs will not cut it anymore. It's fucking 2008 for Gods sake... :D

neo_matrixer

It's a game about science and messing around with creatures you create... Seriously, it's a game.

i agree , i'm christian and i though it's a game. There arent any effect for my faith. I like to play SPORE but i still love God and I know i'm not came from an animal.

:D:D

Stab-o-Matic5000

Cutting Edge in Murder
Biggest bunch of bullshit ever. I don't really have much against religion but sometimes they are the stupidest hardheaded fools on this planet.

If you don't want to believe in evolution then that's fine, but don't attack a fucking video game that pokes fun with the facts we are learning about the different way our species are designed to change and evolve.

We've proved with tons of evidence that god did not create the beings we have on the planet today. If you still want to argue that "God" created life then the only possibility is that god created evolution.

Smarten up people, vague beliefs will not cut it anymore. It's fucking 2008 for Gods sake... :D
I've always wondered why alot of people can't reconcile their beliefs with science. If God in fact created the universe and all life, is it too strange to believe that God has guided the course of evolution to bring us to where we are today?

Genesis says that God first created the plants, then the animals, and then humans. If you take 1st day, 2nd day, etc. as allegories for epochs, (wouldn't billions of years seem, after all, like days to a supposedly immortal and all powerful being?) then you will find that Genesis' timeline for the creation of life is pretty close to the commonly held scientific viewpoint, i.e., plants, animals, then most recently sentient life.

But to get more on the original topic, Spore itself, without any human interaction, makes the case for evolution. But as soon as you start playing the game, it instantly becomes a case for intelligent design/creationism. (Especially if you decide to just make a completely evolved creature and jump into tribal phase.;))

whateverdude_09

Registered Member
the thing is...that you ARE the creator of those creatures and it is a creation sim, people shouldnt make a big deal out of a VIDEO GAME!

orbitalcows

Registered Member
Hominids evolved from some kind of Austrailopithecus. End of story.

Spore doesn't mean anything. It contains both evolution and creationism. You create them, and then they evolve.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Y Video Games 3
DrewFro Video Games 10
Stab-o-Matic5000 Video Games 0
Mirage Video Games 7
Kanji Video Games 2