Spoiling Your Kids

redsoxocd

living on the border
Do you think you spoil your kids? If so do you do it consciously or do you not even realize that you are doing at times and other people tell you that you do? How do you think spoiling your kids have made them?

I was spoiled as a kid and I still am. Sometimes it seems like it has affected me in a negative way but for the most part it hasnt. I dont throw a tantrum when I dont get my way, or cry.

Do I think I will spoil my kids, probably.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I don't give my kids everything they want, but I try to provide as much as I can to make them happy. When I think of spoiled, I think of kids who are sheltered and think that they're entitled to anything they want and that things do come easily in life. With that in mind, I cannot say I spoil my kids at all.

redsoxocd

living on the border
I don't give my kids everything they want, but I try to provide as much as I can to make them happy. When I think of spoiled, I think of kids who are sheltered and think that they're entitled to anything they want and that things do come easily in life. With that in mind, I cannot say I spoil my kids at all.
By your definition of spoiled I havent been spoiled at all:D

Barbara

Ess Tii Eph Yu
V.I.P.
I was spoiled as a child and I continue to be spoiled in the sense that there is very little I don't get from my parents when I ask. I do however still work for a good portion of what I own. I make my car payments but sometimes my Mom will buy me that game I wanted because I'm running low on cash. I think that I'll be the same with my children. Teach them a strong work ethic and reward them for it.

redsoxocd

living on the border
When you say you were spoiled as a child, how do you describe it?
Most of the time I got what I want. I was rarely denied but when I was it was for a good reason i.e. I didnt deserve it or my parents didnt have the money for it. I also got to do what I wanted most of the time. While my parents let me do and get all of these things, they still disciplined when it was needed.

At the same time, they tought me how to get things for myself so that they dont always have to be the one getting it for me.

Basically I got what I wanted, and I still sort of do and not only from my parents but also from other people.

Dopey

Registered Member
I'm a spoiled little brat. I've always been, and I guess I'll stay one for a while. (Decsel can vouch for that I guess, hehehe)
So yeah, if I get a chance, I think I'll somewhat spoil my kid(s), if I ever get one.
I know I liked it, so why not pass it on, right?

I think I spoil my daughter (she's 4) by giving her a lot of love. I and her dad and her granny always say that she is the cutest and the cleverest girl. The only thing I worry about is when she'll grow up she'll be sensible to every criticism. We buy her a lot of everything, though she doesn't ask a lot :) it's our decision that she needs a new toy or a chocolate. This Friday she is having a birthday and there will be a great childern party, presents.

I don't really spoil them with material possessions, although I probably would if I could afford it. I think it's more the fact that I don't make them do as much around the place as they should be doing. I'll take their plates off the table and bring them to the sink. I'm the one who usually straightens their room..etc.
Don't get me wrong, they're not lazy. There are many times I'll come home and the kitchen or living room will be straightened up for me. I guess it's more of a 'do it on your own schedule, instead of when I'd like' kind of arrangement we have.

wolfheart

Registered Member
I would not say that I or my kids mum spoiil them, we will treat them to something every once in a while, a little extra pocket money for the eldest or a top or something that she has been looking at, and toys or other little things for the younger ones.

I was never spoiled as a kid, my parents did the same thing as I do, little treats every once in a while.
I have friends who give there kids anything they want, and a couple of them are growing up with the attitude of they deserve everything without giving anything back.