Splinter Cell Stunt A Complete Failure

Discussion in 'Offbeat News' started by Nevyrmoore, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

So Monaco Corporation, who are currently promoting Splinter Cell: Conviction, decided that a publicity stunt in New Zealand was in order. Sounds good to me, so what did they do? Have a guy dressed as Sam climbing a building? No, apparently a man with bandages on his hands showed up outside the Degree bar in Auckland and pulled a gun on the patrons.

Yes, you read that right; a man showed up outside a pub, started threatening people with a gun, and was extremely lucky that someone didn't decide to batter the shit out of him. Senior Sergeant Ben Offner has stated that the gun looked pretty real, to the point where the police couldn't actually tell it was a fake until they had taken it from the man. He has also stated that they "consider these types of stunts to be very ill-advised and have real concerns a similar one may one day end in tragedy".

Monaco Corporation's obviously gone into damage control mode, and marketing manager Duane Mutu has shifted the blame onto another marketing firm Monaco hired for the event. "This was by no means an attempt to get cops down there and get this sort of exposure," he said. "We do apologize, we shouldn't have had guns down there. It was just marketing gone wrong."

I have to question the intelligence of the actor playing the bandaged man. I mean, this guy was obviously told to go to a public place full of people with a gun and start threatening them. Did it not occur to him to say, "Hang on a minute, people are obviously going to start freaking out about this and call the police. Are you absolutely sure we want to pull this off?" Luckily for him, and one other man, they were only cautioned. However, I'd hate to think how this would have played out in a country where concealed carrying of firearms is legal...

Source: NZ Herald News via The Escapist

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Now the funny thing would have been if this guy Rolled up on Pro2a here in the States :hah:

Still though, bad marketing. I've seen some really cool efforts in terms of that "pull you in" / "in your face" style marketing and this just failed miserably.

3. Sigurd

Sigurd Internet Dig Dug

They should have just had some guy dressed up as Sam climb a building.

4. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

That was a big fail, I don't know why they decided to go with that idea. Same outcome would of happened if it was in Aus as well.