Movies Spidey 4 Scrapped: Reboot In 2012

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Altanzitarron, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

Just read this on Superherohype; Sony Rebooting Spider-Man in 2012! - Superhero Hype!

I have to say I'm pretty suprised, even after news that it was getting put on hold. They've decided to go back and start again completely. To be honest I'm dissapointed. I love'd the first 2 flicks and even though 3 didn't measure up I felt a lot better about it thinking the franchise was still in their hands. The fourth could have redeemed the whole thing but never mind that's the way it goes these days.

I know there's gonna be a lot of people will rejoice at this, especially after the failings of the third.

"Yay no more dunst and her snaggle tooth!"

"No more soppy Spidey woot and maybe he'll keep his mask on!"

I'm also sure there will be others who are sad like me but maybe for slightly different reasons....

"Does dis mean we don't get Teh CarnAGe!".

Spider-man usually is more interesting back when he's just a kid but I can't help but feel it's all a little bit soon for this.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I hope they reboot and give Venom the spotlight in the first flick. Hell, Spidey's on/off relationship with Venom is key to a lot of Spidey's stories.

3. Altanzitarron

Don't you think it would be a bit much for the first one? If they're trying to restablish him as Spider-man, then black Spider-man and then set up Venom all in one flick it would be a bit much. Hell even Spider-man 3 couldn't handle it properlly and they were already well clear of the origin story.

However when Venom does get reintroduced he should definitely be given some sort of recurring role and not need to team up with anyone. I just realised that they may try and tie this one to the Venom solo film....after all Marvel are trying to create the universe of crossovers.

4. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

Wait, I'm confused...just to clarify - they're remaking the first Spiderman?

5. Altanzitarron

No, they're rebooting the franchise, like Batman Begins. I couldn't say how similar it will be to the first and I have no idea what major villain they'd use. I'm hoping they aren't gonna base it on the ultimate series.

6. Chaos

Jesus. Why? :stare:

If they go the Ultimate road, I am out from the start. I love Spidey 1 and 2, and 3 was acceptable, although certainly not what I was hoping for - for one thing, Venom should NOT have been portrayed like that. He's big enough of a character in his own right to have his own movie (not to mention that I was REALLY REALLY praying for a Venom/Carnage clash movie, which would have been so epic!), and they portrayed him so wrong in number three and didn't give him anywhere near as much attention as he should have had.

7. Merc

Spoilers for Spiderman 3 ahead!

3 was a car wreck. They probably had no ideas as to what they were going to do after it. The biggest villain in the series was killed off after his 20 minutes of total involvement in the movie and Spidey's previous two villains were also huge names. All gone. Now what do they do? The third movie is probably the worst comic book movie next to Howard the Duck, it's why a reboot is necessary. Not to mention, we'll get a new on-screen couple since Toby and Kirsten mixed like water and oil.

They had no chemistry at all, ever.

8. Chaos

I'd have preferred that they simply discount #3, like how the new Superman film is just going to ignore the existence of Superman Returns, or how Hulk ignored The Incredible Hulk. That would have been better for me.

I'll admit that I was pissed about the total fuck-up with Venom. I just think Raimi tried to do too much with too little, and from all the wrong angles.

I like Tobey Maguire though...

9. Merc

Yeah but Chaos, that new Hulk film was technically a reboot, so is the new Superman. So you're not advancing your point too well.

:p

10. Chaos

You've got a point, since they weren't actually series films. :hmm:

I'd still have preferred them to go ahead with #4, though, if the choice was mine.