Spelling vs Pronunciation

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Which is worse to get incorrectly?

I think it's more embarrassing to mispronounce because it's face-to-face and it seems easier to laugh at people's strange accents and mispronunciation (and replay them on youtube!).

However, isn't misspelling worse because it's more of an indication of education failure? Or have we relaxed a bit on this due to the prevalence of textspeak/chatspeak?

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I would say spelling...since I make the mispronunciation mistake the most. :p

But I read a lot of books. I know what words mean and such...but since I haven't heard it in every day conversation, I may not know the proper way to pronounce them.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I'd say spelling, mostly because there are so many words that don't have one specific pronunciation - you can pronounce it multiple ways, and their all correct.

Easily-Amused

http://easily-amused.com/
I'd say that in a real life conversation (GASP! Imagine that!), mispronunciation is worse. I do it all the time, and I am constantly embarrassed >.<

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
For me it's a bit of both, a lot of times I screw up my grammar/spelling on these forums but a lot of times it's because I'm being careless.

I hate pronuncing a word the wrong way especially when I'm having a discussion with my friends because they'll laugh at me(even though they're just kidding) if that happens then I just tell them to pronunce a few words in French and they shut up :D

I don't know which I'd say is worse, but mispronunciation embarrasses me more than misspelling. Maybe it's just because I've got more experience with it -- I read/use the internet way too much and often find I don't know how to properly say things, and it nerves me to ask.

It just annoys me when I can't spell something, but only if people that are bothered about that kind of thing are going to be reading it. My RL friends aren't great at spelling/grammar themselves so if I get something wrong when talking to them online then they probably won't even notice, let alone care. But here it's a little different.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I'm not really bothered by either. Sometimes people make mistakes, its nothing to get upset about. I tend to make more pronounciation mistakes than spelling errors, however. Or I mix words up in a sentence without skipping a beat. " Yesterday I thought my spoke". Or " are gou yoing to give me that". I mess that up all the time, or stutter lol. Doesn't bother me at all, kinda funy actually.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I don't know which I'd say is worse, but mispronunciation embarrasses me more than misspelling. Maybe it's just because I've got more experience with it -- I read/use the internet way too much and often find I don't know how to properly say things, and it nerves me to ask.
I'd like to know the pronunciation but when someone corrects me while I'm taking, it takes away some of my enthusiasm to keep on talking (maybe afraid to make another mistake).

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
I mispronounce things many times, but I always ask the person I'm conversing with prior to saying the word if the following is pronounced properly.
So I guess I don't get embarrassed with mispronunciation.
I do get more embarrassed at grammatical mistakes more than spelling, since I do my best to check on words I'm unfamiliar with their spelling and will do my utmost to get them right (not difficult having an online dictionary available). But with grammar I don't have much of an indication if I am right or wrong (since I mix up the grammar of both languages I speak).

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would rather spell wrong than pronounce things wrong. You can at least get by and communicate with people normally if you can say things correctly. Spelling is less of a red flag I guess.