• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Game Cube Speed Run

A few weeks ago, Buckeye suggested we have a little Metroid Prime speed run contest. I decided to take him up on his offer and I set off, running through the game as fast as I could.

I have played through the game twice in the past, but took my time and searched for all the items. Going through the third time though, I only grabbed the items I thought I would need, but I did go out of my way a few times for some items that I couldn't resist. I figured it was OK because this was more of a recon run since it had been so long since I last played the game. I ended with a time of 7:15, and 76% of the items.

A few days later, I started again, ready to actually speed run the game. Didn't run into any major problems, and managed to collect all of the artifacts as early on as I could. I ended with a time of 4:35 and 68% of the items.

I really don't think I could do much better without trying endlessly to master some of the crazy techniques I've seen (http://speeddemosarchive.com/MetroidPrime.html), so that is my best. What say you, Buckeye?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
4:35 is pretty good. Was that all in one segment or did you split it up? I'm sure you could skip some more stuff and go for under 4:00, but the less you get, the harder the game is to beat. That's why any% runs are so complicated. There's almost an infinite number of possible routes depending on how much stuff you collect. I'm gonna try to beat your 4:35 while getting 100%, and not doing any of the crazy tricks in those videos.

I did the 4:35 run in three sittings. First sitting I played up until the Phazon Mines, second sitting I played up to the Omega Pirate, and finished the rest in the third sitting (all that was left though were Ridley and Metroid Prime).

Yeah, I suppose if I were to cut out even more stuff I could get under 4:00, which would be cool, but I don't see it happening. The only upgrades I bothered to get were ones that were right in my way for the most part, so I don't think they really tacked on too much time, just a few minutes really.

And good luck on your run. If you manage to get 100% while beating my 4:35, that will be a huge slap in my face.

Gamechamp

Registered Member
4 hours on a speed run? Dang, that must be a long game. Good luck, both of you. Let's see if Buckeye can beat your score, Ross.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm doing a practice run right now. Gotta plan my route and everything. Hopefully I'll start the real speed run within the next few days.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm pretty much done my practice run. I'm saved right before Ridley with 98% (all I have left to get is the artifact at the temple. the last item counts as 2% for some reason). My current time is around 5:10, but I wasn't going for speed at all. I think I'll be able to cut at least 30-45 minutes off that time (maybe more), so I'll probably be near your 4:35 time, Ross. I think my route is pretty good. Seems to minimize the backtracking. Just need to make a few small adjustments to it before I get started.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
My final time was 5:37. The final boss took 15 minutes. My goal for my real speed run is to get under 4:30. It'll be pretty tough to cut over an hour off my time. I'm gonna get started right away so I can finish before I get Prince of Persia.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
My speed run is underway. I'm at 1:07 with 26%, got the Spider Ball and I'm on my way to the Ice Beam. I wish I had written my times down on my practice run to use as a measuring stick. I think I was around 2:30 at this point, so I've already cut more than an hour. Under 4 hours is looking like a realistic possibility right now.

There are a lot of really annoying parts when you're trying to go fast, like scanning the runic symbols, Magmoor Caverns (damn Puffers and Turrets), and the pirate labs in Phendrana. Makes me appreciate the pro speed runs that much more. I'm definitely not looking forward to the Mines. :( My game has crashed three times already, all at the damn elevator from Tallon Overworld to Chozo Ruins. I guess my game doesn't like me going fast.

You bastard, you're going to beat my time AND with 100%.

*Slap to my face*

Ah well, maybe that will motivate me to try another speed run. I may wait a little while on it, though, as there are a bunch of games that I want to play, and I also don't want to overplay Prime. It's almost sacred, I'd hate to play it too much and get sick of it, since I did just play through it twice recently.

Also, it sucks that your game keeps crashing. Mine has only ever crashed two or three times, but those were all in my first playthrough. I think they all happened at Phendrana for no apparent reason.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I got the Ice Beam and Gravity Suit and I'm saved at the ship at 1:24 with 32%. Next is the crashed frigate underwater part on my way to Phazon Mines for Power Bombs. I think my final time is going to be around 3:30.

Ross, your time is still pretty good considering you haven't played the game as much as I have. I assume you didn't restart a segment if you made a small mistake either. I usually have to restart a couple times before I get something acceptable. My run is far from perfect though. I don't have the patience to restart more than two or three times, so I've made plenty of minor mistakes. I probably wasted at least 30 seconds trying to boost up the half pipe in Reflecting Pool to where the Ice Beam is.