Speakers on Macbook

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Twitch, May 9, 2010.

1. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

I've had these two speakers in my basement for whenever I'm down there with my computer. Recently, the right speaker has not been working when I plug it into my macbook, but only my macbook. If I plug it into my iPod, it works strangely, but everything I plug into my iPod works strangely, like headphones, so I'm not concerned about that.

My friend was over the other day and he plugged the speakers into his iPod and it worked fine, then i told him to pass me the chord thing, and I plugged it into the computer and both speakers worked.

Now it doesn't work again.

Thoughts?

2. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Have you checked your headphones on the macbook?

Are the speakers externally powered or does it get power from the computer?

Sometimes speakers that draw power from the computer or the ipod don't work all the way because they aren't receiving enough power.

Make sure your laptop is plugged in.

3. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

They get power from the wall, because they have a bass booster.

Headphones work fine. It seems to be this certain set of speakers and my certain computer.

4. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

Sounds like the headphone jack on your Macbook is going down the tubes. I had the same thing happen on another laptop I had. It happens when you use a lot of headphones/speakers and are unplugging and replugging them or moving the laptop while said items are plugged in.

I would have said the headphone jack on the speakers is fried but you've already been through troubleshooting for that.

There isn't much you can do for a bad headphone jack. I bought an external sound card that serviced me well when I wanted to listen to music.