Spawning in sandbox games

Have you ever noticed that in a lot of the open world 'sandbox' games, like Grand Theft Auto, Fable and the like that spawning seems very much set to hinder your progress.

For example:
I didn't realise that for one of the Demon Doors in Fable 2, until later on, that I would need certain clothing to open it. Now that I need the damned thing it won't spawn in its usual place. I've searched and searched for it, spending hours, and with no result.

I need a bounty to complete Red Dead, yet it won't appear.

A lot of the time in Grand Theft Auto, I found that a car wouldn't appear when I needed it, or a cop car would when I was on a timed mission, out of the blue so I crash into it, and have them chase me. ---

Lot's of stuff like that. I'm sure there are countless more incidents like this. I find the spawning mechanism in some games to be set dead against you making any progress in the game. Do you find this to be a same problem? Does it make the game more interesting to you, or just annoy you like it does me?

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Or you know, it could be a glitch and not an actual design mechanic.

I know what bounty you're talking about in Red Dead and it's incurable. It's for one of the outfits, right?

Yeah. Just seems weird how such glitches would be so commonplace and so inconvenient. The worst thing is knowing that some others have managed to do whatever I have not. As if I get the glitch, and they don't.

Extremely annoying.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
The thing I find odd is the inclusion of the Fable 2 demon doors. Last I checked, they were always in a specific spot of the game world and can't actually move. They never spawn, they're always there...

The thing I find odd is the inclusion of the Fable 2 demon doors. Last I checked, they were always in a specific spot of the game world and can't actually move. They never spawn, they're always there...
Nope. I've searched high and low for this - I used tips off of websites, all saying the same thing. I needed a strumpet skirt, yet when I went to Rookridge/Fairfax Gardens as directed, to find a clothing trader, I couldn't find a single one selling this item. I've been around the shops numerous times with no success.

It just will not turn up. Perhaps it's not a spawning feature, but some other problem. I still find it annoying.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Oh, the item. I thought you meant the door.

This seems like an issue of what stock is available at various times. What items you can buy from stores varies on a day to day basis. I'm guessing the game hasn't chosen that specific item every time.

Oh, the item. I thought you meant the door.

This seems like an issue of what stock is available at various times. What items you can buy from stores varies on a day to day basis. I'm guessing the game hasn't chosen that specific item every time.
Yep, the item. It's very annoying.

I keep going to the door on the off chance it might open, but it doesn't. I mean, my character has been dressed like a complete twat for ages now. Bloody stone-faced scumbag bossing me about for no good reason. - Sorry, I was getting rather annoyed at it. I guess I could try going to them at specific times, yet I know that means I could be there for eons - It may be best for me to ignore it altogether.

Last edited:

Xeilo

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I noticed it with GTA, when ever I needed a sort of car it would never be around! Pissed me off so much.

To be fair, you try programming massive open world games like GTA, Red Dead, and Fable without hiccups; it's certainly no dainty little walk in the park.
Yes, actually I have taken this into account. It still doesn't remove the annoyance of it being so.
Even more so, when a glitch seems to affect my game, but others seem to get through it without a problem. Maybe I'm just shit at computer games, that might be it too.

I don't reckon I'm that bothered about it really, just raising the point for some reason. Most of these sorts of games are pretty damn entertaining regardless.