Spanish Paella

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by storm_ina_C_cup, Jul 1, 2010.

1. storm_ina_C_cup

storm_ina_C_cup Registered Member

Anyone here have a good recipe they'd like to share with me??? Pretty Please!!!:D

2. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I wish I had one to give you. I absolutely LOVE paella, but I have never been able to get the rice or the broth right. I know the ingredients that I want in it (shrimp or chorizo...or combo) green onion, olives, tomato..I think I'm missing something there.

But I never have been able to get it completely right. It's one of the dishes that I have wanted to perfect, but so far I've only made it once. I guess I shouldn't beat myself up too much. It's really hard replicating something you've tasted before.

Come to think of it...the next time I try I'm going to try to do a healthy version with shrimp, try to season the broth with saffron, and use steamed brown rice instead of the usual rice they use. I really can't figure out how to do the rice correctly, anyway.

3. storm_ina_C_cup

I must admit, it can go wrong quite easily if you haven't made it a few times! It took me about 3 or 4 times to get it right.:shifteyes:

I've got a great recipe with jumbo shrimp and sea scallops if you're interested?

I think I'd like to try one with chicken and chickpeas or something?:-/

4. AnitaKnapp

Yes, I am interested. I have both of those in my freezer right now. So, what kind of paella have you made before, what kind of rice do you use, and do you season the broth?

5. storm_ina_C_cup

I'll have a look for it this evening and give it to you tomorrow!:)

I've just made a seafood paella with shrimp and sea scallops, chopped tomatos, red onion, garlic (chopped), olive oil, saffron and bomba rice, fish stock and seasoned it with paprika, Old Bay Seasoning and fresh ground peppercorns.

6. AnitaKnapp

That sounds really good.

I pretty much put garlic in every single thing I make. I'm not familiar with fish stock, is that like chicken broth?

7. storm_ina_C_cup

It's tasty.

ahhh, I LOVE garlic! And like you, I use it all the time.

yes, Fish stock is like chicken, beef or vegetable broth. You can find a fresh, pre-made fish stock at your local seafood market / fishmonger or you can make your own (which I prefer not to do because you use fish heads, lol).

8. AnitaKnapp

lol

Honestly I'd probably stick with chicken broth in this case. I don't really like a lot of fishy tasting things, and the thought of fish stock frightens me.

9. storm_ina_C_cup

lol

Believe it or not, the fish stock doesn't overpower the other flavors in this particular dish; it just accentuates and compliments the dish, that's all.:)

Now this is frightening!:spin: --->

[​IMG]

10. AnitaKnapp

That is pretty frightening. Especially that red thing. What is that?!