• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Spam texts

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I've always been very careful to select "no" when asked if I want to receive promotional news or newsletters from anywhere I might sign up to. Yet lately, I've been receiving a large amount of spam texts and even e-mails.

I have no idea how my number got out there for companies to spam me. Are they just sending messages to random numbers? I know at least a few of these texts are scams, so I just delete them as I get them.

How can I make this stop though? Am I going to have to change my phone number and e-mail address? Will that even help?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think some companies that people do business with sell their information. Now I have a different email address for everyone I do business with so if I start getting them I know who did it.

For a while I was getting email spam from someone that claimed to be my sister but I wouldn't open it because I was afraid it contained a virus. Which it did, my sister must of opened a email from them and they got all her email addresses and everyone she knew got this same email.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
In the last few months, before I came back to GF, I received spam e-mails that said they were from Bliss and Kibi, respectively. I knew they spam though and never opened them before deleting them.

I've considering getting a new e-mail account anyway. I've had this one too long, I think. But the spam texts on my phone really bother me the most. I am not excited about the idea that I will have to change my phone number for this. Would that be my only way though?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
That sounds like the email spam I was getting. I bet someone with their email addresses opened a email with a virus in it and that's how they got your address.

I bet you will have to change your number but I don't have cell phone anymore so I don't really know. Can't use one where I live anyway. Might contact your cell phone provider and ask them.

dDave

V.I.P.
Hey Idi, this happens because companies are paid to sell the information of their clients to people that want to send spam texts and emails. When these people are done contacting you then they sell it to other people that want to do the same thing, it's a vicious cycle.

I don't know about iOS 6 but I know that you can just block numbers from iOS 7. As for email, if you're using gmail then you can report spam and be able to filter it all out pretty quickly. I rarely receive spam of any kind on my email, it's great.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Thanks Dave. That's very useful information. I'm hoping to upgrade to iOS 7 this week some time (was meant to do it on Friday), so maybe that will help, if I can figure out how to do that. Let's hope that works.

I do have gmail, so I will report them from now on as they come through and hopefully that will bring down that spamming spree as well.

Thanks. :D

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I almost never get any spam on my gmail account. It all goes right to the spam folder and I don't even notice it.

I've gotten a few spam texts, but not too many. I just try to be careful with who I give my information to. I recently had to give my cell number to Microsoft so they could text me a security code for my Xbox Live account. I wasn't too happy about it since I don't trust Microsoft at all to not sell my information to other companies.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
It seems like there should be a law against companies selling your number to other conpanies though. I'm pretty sure in my case it just spiralled from where ever it started. Companies have passed it on so much that all I get is spam texts. I don't even use texts anymore, with having whatsapp and other instant messaging tools. So texts are just all spam - and my bank. :lol:

dDave

V.I.P.
I almost never get any spam on my gmail account. It all goes right to the spam folder and I don't even notice it.

I've gotten a few spam texts, but not too many. I just try to be careful with who I give my information to. I recently had to give my cell number to Microsoft so they could text me a security code for my Xbox Live account. I wasn't too happy about it since I don't trust Microsoft at all to not sell my information to other companies.
I've given my number to Microsoft before and I've never had a problem with it. They're big enough that there would be a huge outcry if they were selling information (at least I think so)

It seems like there should be a law against companies selling your number to other conpanies though. I'm pretty sure in my case it just spiralled from where ever it started. Companies have passed it on so much that all I get is spam texts. I don't even use texts anymore, with having whatsapp and other instant messaging tools. So texts are just all spam - and my bank. :lol:
I believe there are laws that say you have to have some sort of disclaimer in your privacy policy or something if you are going to sell it. I appreciate it when there's a little note from a company saying that they will never sell your information and will protect it, that always makes me feel good.

I'll occasionally get texts from a fake Sprint company telling me that payment is due, gets really annoying. Other times I'll get a text saying that I've won a best buy giftcard or something.

I still have no clue what these spammers are trying to accomplish. I guess not everyone watches out for themselves like many of us do, some people have probably been scammed pretty badly.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Doc Ideas & Support 1
D Bathroom Wall 10
generalblue Bathroom Wall 1
C-Mach Bathroom Wall 1
MAgnum9987 Bathroom Wall 0