• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Space X Launch

Impaired

Registered Member
NASA astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley will become the first astronauts to launch to orbit from U.S. soil in nearly a decade. The mission, called Demo-2, will be the first crewed test flight of SpaceX's Crew Dragon spacecraft

I am supporting this launch where I work. I wanted to be an astronaut but by 14 I was too tall. Took a lot of years, but I get to part of the space program.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
@Impaired, how tall is too y’all and why is that limitation in place? So the ships can be smaller and cost less?

That’s awesome you’re involved from a different perspective. What is your role? (If you can say?)

We had planned to watch it and were bummed it was delayed until the 30th due to weather.

Impaired

Registered Member
@Impaired, how tall is too y’all and why is that limitation in place? So the ships can be smaller and cost less?

That’s awesome you’re involved from a different perspective. What is your role? (If you can say?)

We had planned to watch it and were bummed it was delayed until the 30th due to weather.
Yes, weight and space. No astronauts over 6' and most are considerably shorter. I am 6'4"

I'm a network engineer working with a couple of companies that manage ground based antennas for talking to satellites.

I basically set up network connections from a client site through our network to an antenna (could be Alaska, Hawaii, Chili, South Africa, Florida, Australia, Sweden) so that when their satellite is overhead they can upload or download info.

The sites generally have the crappiest Internet links in the world - try getting an ISP in Punta Arenas, Chili, or Dongara, Australia. Somehow, we keep data flowing up or down as the customer needs. A lot of boring firewall rules but some cool devices for accelerating traffic.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Ooh I didn't know that being small has perks if you want to go to space. We watched the launch from here too. Even if I'm not quite interested in space stuff I felt like something historical is happening so why not be a part of it, even if virtually.