Space colonization

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by Kazmarov, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Given that our Earth isn't faring too well, it seems that this is a necessary to make.

Besides climate change, Earth has a host of other problems. Overpopulation is the overarching one, and with it comes a depletion of non-renewable resources. I'm not just talking about oil here-we're on track to run out of necessary metals such as zinc and copper in the next century.

So an option is always on the table that we begin colonizing other places. Where, when, and how would we do this?

2. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I cant see it being of any benefit for humankind to colonize anything within reach of us other than our own Earth.

The moon is the only feasible object and other than for scientific purposes there is no practical reason to go there. The resources required for space exploration far out weigh the returns. Mars is to far away and even with high speed space travel is a good 6 month journey. It is also worth taking into account that if we colonize somewhere else we have to pillage our planet first, we must take metals and gasses from the only source we have in the hope we find a second source and if we do we then have to take more metals and gasses to make it possible.

Terra-forming is always a possibility. Where? The Moon and Mars are to small to hold a decent atmosphere, Venus would be an ideal size but then it already has a violent atmosphere. We cant manage our own so I doubt we can manage another and then do we have enough time to do so.

The solution to the over-population will most probably be the same solution that befalls all animals that outgrow there ecosystem, they die out! and continue to do so until the ecosystem recovers enough for the animal to repopulate and start the process again.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
    Matriqulated likes this.
  3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Even if we were to send people into space to colonize the moon or Mars how would that help the billions left on Earth? I mean even if we could somehow send 1,000 people (which would be a HUGE project) into space to live on the moon or Mars, that doesn't help Earth and the problems that everybody else will still be faced with.

And why leave one planet where life is at least consistent and go to a planet where everything would be starting fresh? I think humans will be better off living on earth regardless of global warming and draining of natural resources than to go to a planet such as Mars where "global warming" is already set on high (the red planet?) and water isn't exactly abundant. I'd rather run out of zinc and copper than live on Mars or the moon.

Unless we can figure out how to get huge bodies of water onto Mars along with an atmosphere similar to that of Earth.

4. Matriqulated

Matriqulated Future is Fused 3036A.D.

Don't think this is going to happen at all. Bananas and Hybrix covered most of the bases. I doubt that colonies on Mars or the Moon would be able to survive the harsh environments and unpredictable scenarios living on there could preset. Any potential Earth like planet is too far to see, let alone get there and survive there. We are stuck here. Earth until she gets fed up with us, we get tired of each other, she gets hit with a big enough rock, or whatever other extinction level event you can think of happens.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

First, find a place where it's possible to settle. This means a lot of exploration. I'm not sure we have the tools yet to accomplish this in a short period of time.
    Next, we need techonological adv to be able to sustain life over there with little dependence on earth's resources. Also figure out means to transport people.
    At some point one needs to decide on what type of community it would be and the selection process; define order and organisation.

We probably need positronic robots. Yes, I've been reading too much Asimov.

Matriqulated and Bananas like this.
  6. Rectify88

Rectify88 Registered Member

We need to take into account the human element. It's not the earths fault it's running out of it's resources. We use the resources, and we make babies. What would the point be of going out of earth when all we have to do is change the human element. As long as WE are going somewhere else we're still taking all the mishaps that me do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2008
    Matriqulated likes this.
  7. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Well, long term we'd be talking about significant amounts of people.

I'm doubting that Earth in 1,000 years will be able to carry 'billions' of people. So either find another place to live or let a couple billion people die like Bananas said.

Not necessarily. We can use the most abundant land in the universe, space. It's got solar energy, and with a space elevator the capability to be supplied adequately and create a self-sustaining community. If we attach arms to a large enough central point and rotate it fairly slowly, we can have artificial gravity colonies for millions of people.

8. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

What if a "Death Star" size space station could be constructed. It's been talked about in scientific essays before. Pros, cons, etc.

I don't know how we would even begin to create something like that. I think we need to find a new source of energy first and foremost.

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I meant exploration as in trips from here to space too. Right now, it takes days or weeks (I have no clue really) to do so. That in itself is time consuming. If we can find a way to shorten the travel time to make space exploration easier and faster, the better.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  10. Matriqulated

Matriqulated Future is Fused 3036A.D.

"The typical time during Mars's closest approach to the Earth every 1.6 years is about 260 days. Again, the details depend on the rocket velocity and the closeness of the planets, but 260 days is the number I hear most often give or take 10 days. Some high-speed transfer orbits could make the trip in as little as 130 days."

I don't believe in human passengers being able to survive warp drive type of travel theories. And with the present space technology that is public at least, that limits our options a great deal. Not to mention that Mars and the Moon don't appear to be all that stable IMO, and the other planets aren't even options.

Takes 8 years to get to pluto based on this launch from 2007:
    "the timing assured that New Horizons would arrive for its closest approach to Pluto on July 14, 2015 - the 50th anniversary of the first flyby of Mars by Mariner 4, the mission that began the exploration of the planets."