Soyuz MS-10 crash landed

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
The Soyuz MS-10 mission was aborted, this morning, when a booster malfunctioned during stange 1 separation. The crew, Aleksey Ovchinin and Nick Hague, reported a malfunction in stage 2 and a feeling of weightlessness. Also, they module they were in separated from the carrier. They entered the Emergency Escape Module SAS, a few minutes after the launch, and re-entered the atmosphere at a sharp angle. Both of them landed 12 miles east of Dzheskazgan, Kazakhstan. No injuries were reported and after medical examinations, they were flown to the Baikonur Cosmodrome in a rescue helicopter.
After that, they will be sent to Star City and the Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Center, near Moscow.
The manned space program is now suspended, pending an investigation and only Russia, at this time, is certified to send people into space. Dunno when that can happen again.

Rocket failure forces emergency landing for U.S. and Russian astronauts

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I happy they make it down safely and hopefully it won't be long before they can resume flights to the space station.

With all the tension between the US and Russia right now I'm surprised we are still working together in this area.

The US needs to build their own rockets.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
It's only the politics. Toss the White House and Kremlin and the Russians and Americans would friend each other like at Brighton Beach, Florida, and Moscow. NASA and Roscomos only care about space, not politics, so they work together. I'm sure they will find the problems, with the rocket, and fix them but yeah, the U.S. totally does need it's own manned space program.
That way, America could take over if Roscosmos fails and visa versa. I'll be watching to see when the next launch happens.

Powerful

Registered Member
I think the Soyuz is one of humanity's great machines. It's had an amazing reliability and safety record since the 1960s with only minor modifications, and its launches, unlike the shuttle, were almost always on schedule. It can lift off in blizzards. But I find it unconscionable that Americans are totally reliant on the Russians for the ferrying service, and the last few launches of the Soyuz have exposed something sinister in the Russian program. This is a pretty bad spot for NASA.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I think the Soyuz is one of humanity's great machines. It's had an amazing reliability and safety record since the 1960s with only minor modifications, and its launches, unlike the shuttle, were almost always on schedule. It can lift off in blizzards. But I find it unconscionable that Americans are totally reliant on the Russians for the ferrying service, and the last few launches of the Soyuz have exposed something sinister in the Russian program. This is a pretty bad spot for NASA.
I totally agree but what was sinister about the Russian program?