• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

    Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Southern Ocean winds strongest in 1,000 years

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Winds in the wild Southern Ocean are blowing at their strongest in a millennia as climate change shifts weather patterns, leaving Antarctica colder and Australia facing more droughts, a study showed Monday.

Southern Ocean winds strongest in 1,000 years due to atmospheric carbon dioxide levels: study
This doesn't sound good and I think we should do everything we can to cut down on carbon emissions. However all countries would need to participate for it to do any real good and I'm not sure that is going to happen.

I'm taking that most of the Antarctic is going to be colder except for the Antarctic Peninsula and it could end up melting because of these winds. Then these winds seem to be sucking the moisture up and making southern Australia dry which they expect to continue.

Thoughts?
 

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
The fear mongering put out by these people gets me every time. Since the formation of the Earth about 4.5 billion years ago, when the planet underwent extreme volcanism and the eventual cooling forming a crust, the planet has undergone extreme changes, from the supercontinent Rodina breaking apart about 750 million years ago, to continents recombining to form Pannatia and Pangea, ice ages began about 40 million years ago which intensified at the end of the Pliocene period, with cycles of glaciation and thaw, repeating every 40,000-100,000 years. During the different periods the Earth has undergone epic changes, with continents continuing to shift, sea levels rising and falling, the last ice age appearing about 10,000 years ago, the current period we are in, the Holocene Epoch, which started about 11,000 years ago, has seen the sea levels rise by about 35 meters, and has seen many areas above 40 degrees north latitude depressed over the weight of the Pleistocene glaciers.

My point is if you study the history of the Earth and it's topography you seen the enormous changes the Earth has undergone, some of them very dramatic. The time man has been on Earth is like a water drop in a swimming pool, and the changes that the Earth has undergone in our very short time here are minuscule compared to the rest of the 4.4999999 million years the Earth has been here. To conclude it's all because of carbon emissions is ignoring science and history.
 

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree the earth has always went through changes. During the Permian extinction all life on this planet almost disappeared. However I don't think this is all fear mongering. I think the evidence points towards man having a hand in it this time. In the past changes took thousands of years, like during the Permian extinction but now it seems to be happening rather quickly. I don't think anyone can ignore all the scientific evidence that man is changing our planet and not for the good.
 

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I don't see anything happening quickly at all. The strongest winds on record were in 1934. The average temperature of the Earth has risen about .5 C in the last 120 years. The changes to the Earth haven't been happening quickly at all, especially given the infinitely small time we have to record actual changes.
 

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
My point is if you study the history of the Earth and it's topography you seen the enormous changes the Earth has undergone, some of them very dramatic. The time man has been on Earth is like a water drop in a swimming pool, and the changes that the Earth has undergone in our very short time here are minuscule compared to the rest of the 4.4999999 million years the Earth has been here. To conclude it's all because of carbon emissions is ignoring science and history.
Let me ask you, CO, if climate change is not caused by man, then what is causing it? You realize that we measure the things that are known to naturally affect the climate, such as energy from the sun, volcanic activity, ocean currents, etc, and all of these natural causes say that the Earth should actually be in a period of cooling, which is contrary to what we are observing.

We know for a fact that the more carbon dioxide there is in the atmosphere, the warmer the planet gets. Correct? The concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere has risen dramatically since the industrial revolution. How did all that CO2 get into the atmosphere?

97% of climate scientists conclude that the changing climate is caused by man. You're really going to trust the other 3%, the conservative talking heads and politicians whose careers depend on pandering to their base, and the corporations that profit on the destruction of the planet (who also happen to make large financial contributions to said politicians) over the 97% of climate experts? So who is ignoring science?
 

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
One thing I always found fascinating was when Ellen MacArthur was talking about the Southern Oceans and she was asked how long the waves were and high how they were and she basically said "they are endless" simply because there is very little landmass around to stop the waves or indeed the wind so they just keep on going around and around effectively like a washing machine in a constant washing cycle.
 

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Let me ask you, CO, if climate change is not caused by man, then what is causing it? You realize that we measure the things that are known to naturally affect the climate, such as energy from the sun, volcanic activity, ocean currents, etc, and all of these natural causes say that the Earth should actually be in a period of cooling, which is contrary to what we are observing.

We know for a fact that the more carbon dioxide there is in the atmosphere, the warmer the planet gets. Correct? The concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere has risen dramatically since the industrial revolution. How did all that CO2 get into the atmosphere?

97% of climate scientists conclude that the changing climate is caused by man. You're really going to trust the other 3%, the conservative talking heads and politicians whose careers depend on pandering to their base, and the corporations that profit on the destruction of the planet (who also happen to make large financial contributions to said politicians) over the 97% of climate experts? So who is ignoring science?
To be fair there are motivations on both sides to conclude a certain way, grants, money for turbines, etc, and I also question that 97% figure, although I have seen it before.

My opinion isn't that man isn't causing this climate change, in fact I have no opinion because its much too inconclusive at this point. We've been told the exact opposite just 20 years or so ago, that we were cooling. Now we're told we are warming. And really the amount of warming is too insignificant to determine either way.

I'm all for taking care of the planet, I'm all for recycling or finder better ways to provide energy. What I oppose is my truck being blamed for something that isn't conclusively happening and the government subsidizing businesses that can't compete in the free market by inconclusive science.
 

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Here's a article that goes along with what this article says about the Antarctic Peninsula melting and the rest of it getting colder. They claim its going to have a slow collapse that could take hundreds of years. They also claim at this point even cutting down on carbon emissions won't stop it now but it would slow it down.


WASHINGTON (AP) — The huge West Antarctic ice sheet is starting a glacially slow collapse in an unstoppable way, two new studies show. Alarmed scientists say that means even more sea level rise than they figured.

NASA spots worrisome Antarctic ice sheet melt
 

dDave

Well-Known Member
V.I.P.
The planet has undergone plenty of climate change in the past that wasn't caused by man. Who's to say the forces that caused climate change back then aren't at work today?

Also... Strongest in 1000 years? In other words, the winds were this strong long before any possible global warming caused by cars, power plants, planes, etc. I don't see what the big deal is.
 

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
For me the big deal is quite simple really. We, as a species do not know if there is another planet that can sustain human life. We do not know if there is an afterlife and we cannot prove with absolute certainty at what point things started to go wrong.

The only thing I can tell and that I have read about is this is not new. I have been reading about global warming and pollution for the last thirty years that I have been alive that if we do not lower our carbon foot print and ect etc that the world will not get better and things could get worse.

Now there are two stances one could take on this:

1. This was going on before me and was going on after me, I didn't start it and I can't change it so let someone else deal with it instead and let me go back to climate controlled areas

2. We can't prove when this all started and we cannot prove the long term effect it will have but we can at least try to make things a little better

So, which side of the fence do you fall on?
 
Top