Movies South Park's Chef Quits

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Nevyrmoore, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Legendary soul man Isaac Hayes has officially requested a release from his contract with the "South Park" television show, and the Comedy Central cable station. Mr. Hayes has been a cast member of "South Park" since 1997 as the voice of "CHEF."

Mr. Hayes has decided to part ways with "South Park" because of recent episodes and press that have embarked upon what he feels are inappropriate ridicule of religious communities. While fully acknowledging "South Park's" right to freedom of speech, Mr. Hayes is disappointed with what he perceives as a growing insensitivity towards personal spiritual beliefs, not only with "South Park" episodes but also the recent Danish cartoon controversy.

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins." Mr. Hayes adds, "religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored. As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

Thing is, this is all because of a recent episode that pokes fun of Scientology. So, it's okay to take the piss out of other religions, but when it comes to his, he gets all uppity about it? Sorry, but this guy is a hypocrite, and any respect I had for him is in the minus region. Sad...

2. merob

merob Boom!

he's displeased w/ the "growing insensitivity", towards religion. That hints he was up set about most of the mockry, this was just the last straw. I think his fustrations are understandable.

3. Sephy

Sephy Forum Drifter

That sucks. He was great as Chef.

4. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

If that's the case, then how come he didn't leave earlier? How come it took him 9 years to quit? Also, a further comment -

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem  and he's cashed plenty of checks  with our show making fun of Christians."
    Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."

I still find it weird that he said nothing for 9 years and that it took making fun of Scientology to make him say something. You would of thought that if he was upset about most of the mockery that he would have at least said something about it, even if it was a small comment.

5. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Scientology? Alright, any liking or respect I had for him has just been shattered. You fail, Sir Isaac.

6. He does appear to be quite the hypocrite from what I have been reading, well with what the creators of South Park said.

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

He's just trying to be a stand-out. Gonna stir up news with talks of scientology and religious sensitivity. Adding religion to the newsmedia is like spraying a beehive with pepper spray, never good results.

8. SOAD2k8

SOAD2k8 Guest

x2

and besides, he's on SOUTH PARK, one of the most controversial shows out there! He should have expected this sort of stuff to happen.

9. He probably did expect it, but he probably didn't think it would go that far with it. I did notice that South Park started to poke fun at religion a lot though. I guess a person of his stature can only go so far.

10. garzettpower

garzettpower Guest

I heard that they made an episode ruining Chef as a character.... .like he's a child molester or something.... whats that about?

Can anyone tell me what happened in that episode or if I was just hearing false rumors.....