Sources say Notre Dame has hired Brian Kelly

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by CaptainObvious, Dec 10, 2009.

1. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Sources: Kelly to replace Weis at Notre Dame - ESPN

Here's why I think he's a good choice.

He's been very successful at a school in the northeast, going 12-0 this season. I bring that up because it's easier to recruit for the southern schools. I mean, who doesn't want to go play college ball in southern California (USC) Florida, Texas, etc...warm weather with beaches instead of a school where there's snow part of the year?

He's also been successful in a basketball school in a state where there aren't a lot of blue chip high school football players. You find a lot of blue chippers in Texas, Florida, California, etc...yet he's built a good program from the bottom up.

Good choice, Irish, he's who I would have gone with.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

You posted this seconds before I did. :lol:

It doesn't appear to have been confirmed by Kelly or Notre Dame yet, but I'm sure it's accurate. Doesn't really surprise me.

I think he should have waited until after Cincinnati's bowl game to take another job. It sounds like he won't be coaching them in the Sugar Bowl. Just seems like a major betrayal to the team and all the players he recruited.

As for how much success he'll have at Notre Dame, I don't know. He will bring a different offensive system, but Notre Dame's problems have been on the defensive side of the ball and I have not been impressed by his defense at Cincinnati.

3. CaptainObvious

After I posted it I saw yours:lol:

I agree he should have waited until after the bowl game. It does seem like a betrayal to his team.

4. Major

You have to remember a couple things. Though the Big East conference is generally northeast (minus Louisville and South Florida), Cincinnati is not. Also, Ohio is a hotbed of football talent. It's pretty easy to win with the players that Ohio State doesn't recruit.

That said, he'll have an easier time recruiting top talent from around the nation at Notre Dame. However, Charlie Weis was one of the best recruiters and he failed to run a successful program. Kelly will be facing more difficult competition at Notre Dame than he did at Cincinnati.

5. CaptainObvious

6. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

This really pisses me off actually. I was happy about Cincy gaining momentum. I was damn proud of how he managed to turn the program around. I even got partially excited about the prospect of actually having a viable in-state rival to Ohio State. I remember reading an interview he did last year I think where he basically said the reason Cincy was never a powerhouse was coaches used it as a stepping stone before they moved to bigger schools and he wasn't going to do that.

This whole situation just comes off as such a huge dick move on his part to me, especially with the whole "leaving before the bowl game" shit, that I can't help but wish him nothing but failure at Notre Dame.

Fuck you Brian Kelly. Fuck you straight to hell.

Babe_Ruth likes this.
  7. Major

Yeah, apparently the Cincinnati players feel abandoned and betrayed by him leaving before the bowl game like this. I know I would. I wanted to see Cincy lose this year just because I got the impressive Kelly was a dickhead. Now I know he is a dickhead and I have no respect for him. He doesn't care about his players. He's only in it for himself. He left them for more money. His players even said so. Now I will probably root for Cincinnati in the bowl after rooting against them all year.