• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Source: Red Sox getting closer to Teixeira deal

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Why would wonder what I think? I wonder the same way I wonder about CC. Unlike some people around here, I'm able to keep my bias mostly out of my sports discussions. If they give him a huge contract, I'm not going to be happy. I just don't like the idea of long contracts worth exorbitant amounts of money.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Trust me buddy, your just as bias as other members.

So your not happy that the Red Sox gave Dice-K that much money? I think it's paid off pretty well for you guys if you ask me. He was one of the best pitchers in the American League last season.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Yes, thank you for the obvious statement BR, we are know all aware that people have bias. I'm so enlightened by your insight. I mean, it's not like I said that I'm bias . . . oh wait, I did.

:rollseyes:

The money is not the point. The point is that he was an unproven pitcher and they were giving him huge money to play here. Like I said, already, it worked out for them and that's great. Guys like CC and Teixeira are proven players so the chances of them being busts are extremely low.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Care to explain why you don't like long contracts worth exorbitant amounts of money? If it helps your team win, like it has for the Red Sox in recent years, why dont you like them? Is it because you think it's a major risk to sign a player for that much and for so long?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Is it because you think it's a major risk to sign a player for that much and for so long?

No, not because I think it's a major risk, because it IS a major risk. To place that kind of faith in a player for such a long stretch of time is ridiculous. Players themselves look for long term deals because they know the chances of them being consistent are not so high. Players go through ups and downs. It's common sense BR to not want to sign these guys to overly expensive contracts for 5+ years at a time but that's all these players' agents want.

Player A is a great pitcher, he's pitched well winning an average of 16 games and losing an average of 10 per season for the last 5 years. He is about 30 years old so he wants a long term deal so that he'll be making money late into his career. The agent gets a slice of the contract too, so he/she is looking for the most money they can possibly get. They get offer after offer and they hold out until someone finally offers Player A a six year deal worth $100 million, way more than any sane team would pay for Player A.

It's just how it works, BR. There have been very, very few players who are worth the money they are paid. Take A-Rod for example, that guy is worth every nickel . . until the postseason comes around, then he's worth shit. How valuable is he really in that case? You don't play baseball just because you want to play, but you want to win! How can you expect to win with a guy whose only noticeable function during the post season is breathing? The MLB has had a money problem for a long time. They pay way too much for players and it's ruining the game.

Ryuk

Registered Member
I'd do it in a heartbeat. In the here and now with the likes of Pujols, Howard, and Fielder amongst others Tex flies under the radar but he's still one of the top 1st basemen in the game today. Put him in the Boston lineup and they're closer to being like they were five years ago where there wasn't an easy out anywhere.