Soul Aflame!

This thread is for inspirational quotations, poems and short stories.

If there is something that has touched your soul, led you to a higher path or given you strength in a time of adversity, then please add it here.

If it has helped you, the chances are it will help others too - and to help each other along is the calling of every soul.

Into the Light!

'All this talk of religion, but it's how you live your life that is the all-important thing.
If you set out each day to do all the goodness and kindness that you can, and to do no harm to man or beast, then you are walking the highest path.
And when your time is up, if you can leave the earth a better place than you found it, then yours will have been a life well lived.'

Invictus:
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the captain of my Fate:
I am the master of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

'Is there anyone upon the earth who is glad that you have lived?'
- Dolores Ashcroft-Nowicki

Don't spend your precious time asking "Why isn't the world a better place?" It will only be time wasted.
The question to ask is "How can I make it better?"
To that there is an answer
- Leo Buscaglia

What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead
- Nelson Mandela

I have no desire to move mountains, construct monuments or leave behind in my wake material evidence of my existence. But in the final recollection, if the essence of my being has caused a smile to have appeared upon your face, or a touch of joy within your heart, then in living I have made my mark
- Thomas L. Odem Jr

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Some of the things our founding fathers said still hold true today.

If that solitary suffrage can be obtained by foreign nations by flattery or menaces, by fraud or violence, by terror, intrigue, or venality, the Government may not be the choice of the American people, but of foreign nations. It may be foreign nations who govern us, and not we, the people, who govern ourselves; and candid men will acknowledge that in such cases choice would have little advantage to boast of over lot or chance.
-John Adams

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-Benjamin Franklin

Last edited:
If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.
- Martin Luther King Jr.

'Forgiveness sets two souls free'

Quotes by Albert Einstein:

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning."

"Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding."

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."

"In matters of truth and justice, there is no difference between large and small problems, for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same."

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

A few from Mark Twain

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started."

"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see."

"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured."

_______

... And one from me.
"The worst excuses you can make are the ones you make to yourself."

- Chameleon

PS Nice thread BTW. :)

Having a NDE awakened me in so many ways. It also brought me to full understanding that nobody is here on earth 'by accident', that we each have a purpose, something that we came here to do in this lifetime before we return 'home'....
When I look at the world, it seems that more and more, people are living out their lives as if their sole purpose is to 'get', rather than concentrating on living their soul purpose ... which is to give
- Jules Lyons

What is it like to have a NDE?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqInhGpECak

What happens after you die?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRRgWV2lIvc

A Message From The Stars:
I stood at eventime. The never-ending plain
All empty looked and void. Yet, as I gazed again.
An army bivouacked. Unnumbered points of light
Bespoke a force Supreme - invincible for right
- Henry Morley