PlayStation 3 Sony to announce PS3 Slim?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Nevyrmoore, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Apparently, its possible. There's supposed to be some evidence that supports the idea, and now news that UK retailers have been told not to expect any new PS3s until September.

Source: Escapist Magazine

So, what do you guys think? Will there be a PS3 Slim coming out?

Either way, I don't care, because I still can't afford the bloody thing!

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

well my 80gb still works like a champ so other than just seeing the new slim units and doing some "ooh's" and "aah's"... Im not interested in it either.

I was really surprised at the size shift from the PS2 down to the PS2slim. I mean that first PS2 unit was a decent sized blocky thing. So I can just imagine the PS3 making a radical change.

3. Mihael_langley

Mihael_langley Formerly "Maikeru"

The ps3 dropped the price in several locations in Europe to 299 including 5 game bundled with it.

The ps3 slim is given as a sure thing, and its main porpuse is to drop the price for consumers due to cheaper development costs.

4. Nevyrmoore

Doesn't really matter. Until I get a job, I can't afford it.

5. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I don't really get why Sony has this obsession with releasing a gaming console and then later releasing a smaller version.

I mean it could cut production costs because it takes less materials to build but wouldn't making the technology smaller make it cost more money?

I'm thinking about Desktop PC's and Laptops and how much more expensive Laptops are for their size mainly.

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I highly doubt that given Sony's track record of having several priorities above consumer happiness including high prices and sweet, sweet cash :lol:

Not to mention, Sony has never commented on a Slim version of the PS3, the images have merely begun leaking including ads in fliers and listings on websites so no one can state what Sony is planning on doing or why. Sony also has not commented on the rumors although all signs point to "yes". It will most likely carry a slightly higher price tag, my guess would be $349 while the regular model drops to $299 (I have not seen a $300 PS3 anywhere in my state or NH yet, so I hope you're telling the truth Maikeru).

7. Nevyrmoore

He said Europe. So that still comes to around $428.73.

8. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Okay, my bad. I got all excited for a minute, I thought Sony was considering a legitimate price drop and it got me all excited.

9. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

Well, anything that reduces the price of a ps3, by any significant amount, will rake in customers, just like the ps2 slim did. Sony downsizes stuff to renew customer interest. I didn't expect a slim one so soon, the PS2 was out, i think 5 years before the slim came out, its only been 4 for the Ps3.

On a side note, Cons, have you done anything about your complaining? Have you ever thought of writing to Sony with a bunch of your friends to basically petition them to get prices down? I mean, we're talking the Universal Model here, consumer input is vital. Though I must admit, Sony does a real good job of ignoring the consumer, though I love the Ps3, growing up on the Ps1 and Ps2

10. Mihael_langley

Mihael_langley Formerly "Maikeru"

Sony's official positionis always not commenting rumors.

As for the price drop its true, ive seen it, i've even touched the box here at fnac, 299€ and another bundle with 5 games.