PlayStation 3 Sony should have fought harder for GTA exclusivity

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Does anyone else think Sony should have fought harder to keep the GTA exclusivity? I'd like to see just how many people bought PS2's just because of GTA3. I know I was one of them.

Now with the GTA games on PC and XBOX as well, there's not much motivation for somebody to buy a PS3 over the XBOX 360. Right now PS3 doesn't have many exclusive titles worth buying the system over.

I'd be willing to bet that if GTA4 came out ONLY on the PS3 that Sony would sell an unbelievable amount of systems... So much so that XBOX obviously realized this and wanted in.

I think it's unfortunate that Sony lost the GTA exclusivity and I doubt they will get it back now that GTA games are selling millions upon millions of copies on multiple systems. The price for exclusivity would be insanely high.

I honestly think your given GTA too much credit here. It may have sold a few consoles last gen, but the GTA series wasn't solely responsible for making PS2 succes. PS2 sold well because Sony secured a lot of good games for the platform, not because of one game.

It's not going to be that important.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Yeah, but more companies are going to see that Rockstar is jumping the exclusivity ship and other large franchises that weren't made by SCEA would follow.

Does anyone else think Sony should have fought harder to keep the GTA exclusivity? I'd like to see just how many people bought PS2's just because of GTA3. I know I was one of them.

Now with the GTA games on PC and XBOX as well, there's not much motivation for somebody to buy a PS3 over the XBOX 360. Right now PS3 doesn't have many exclusive titles worth buying the system over.

I'd be willing to bet that if GTA4 came out ONLY on the PS3 that Sony would sell an unbelievable amount of systems... So much so that XBOX obviously realized this and wanted in.

I think it's unfortunate that Sony lost the GTA exclusivity and I doubt they will get it back now that GTA games are selling millions upon millions of copies on multiple systems. The price for exclusivity would be insanely high.

I totally agree with you. I purchased my ps2 just to have gta3 like you! I think sony should have told microsoft, and everybody else, that they are the only ones that will have the rights to the gta series. I think they should have fought harder to keep it, and think gta should only be on sony's consoles. :nod:

i could not agree more

CaliforniaSteve

Registered Member
I really feel bad for Sony. Theyve come so far in the past 10 years, establishing themselves as a powerhouse in gaming...Until now. Im not sure what they were thinking, but charging such a high price and releasing so very few flagship games...? They should know better by now. Sony isnt some newcomer to the gaming industry, and they should have known better than to let Rockstar go like that with GTA. Now all they have going for them is the 5 free movies gimmick, Resistance, Heavenly Sword, and Metal Gear( which keeps getting its release date pushed back)

dmny500

Registered Member
Like a couple others said I also just bought a ps2 so that I could play gta. It's one of my favorite games and I wish Sony still had it locked up cause then not only would they sell more systems but also more games and accessories. Once you have a system aren't you going to buy more than one game? I think most people would start buying other games as well just because they have the system so it really would have been a smart idea.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sony has a few new exclusive games coming out soon that are expected to make a nice dent in their marketshare. Even so, they definitely have some catching up to do.

A new Metal Gear game is coming out, along with (I believe) Assasin's Creed and a first person shooter called Haze. MGS will sell some PS3's, but there are FEW games that sold systems like the GTA series did. Sony should have flat out bought Rockstar back when GTA3 was just becoming huge.

Now it will take a TON to get Rockstar to sign ANYTHING. They are too big to be told what to do now and I'm sure they will do whatever makes them the most money.

CaliforniaSteve

Registered Member
Rockstar would be foolish to sign with Sony now, at least until Sony gets back up to the powerhouse it used to be. Not sure if thats even possible now.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Sony has a few new exclusive games coming out soon that are expected to make a nice dent in their marketshare. Even so, they definitely have some catching up to do.

A new Metal Gear game is coming out, along with (I believe) Assasin's Creed and a first person shooter called Haze. MGS will sell some PS3's, but there are FEW games that sold systems like the GTA series did. Sony should have flat out bought Rockstar back when GTA3 was just becoming huge.
Assassin's Creed is also available for Xbox 360.