• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PlayStation 3 Sony Shoots Self in FOOT!!!

SamusAran86

Registered Member
The PS3 will release Nov 17 of this year!

But just how much are you willing to pay?

The CHEAPEST VERSION will run you USD 499!!

Has sony lost there mind. In this economy, a 500 dollar system just isnt feesable. Just look at Jaguar or 3DO for a example. Sure Sony may have a hold on the market at the current moment, but with this pricepoint, they will fail miserably.

I would never spend 500 dollars on a system alone. but with gas prices soaring and everything elso going up, I dont think Sony will have a leg to stand on.

Lets see... 200-250 for a system that offers something new. or 400 to 600 to play remakes of every game released last generation... Ill go the cheap route!!

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I agree with you. $500-600 for a console is ridiculous, especially since it doesn't come with any games or extra controllers. You could easily spend $800 or more just to get started. That's one hell of an expensive Christmas present. There's no way I'll ever spend that kind of money on a console. Sadly, a lot of people will. Sony has too big of a fan base for PS3 to fail. Wii looks real good to me right now, at least until the Xbox 360 price drops at least $100.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Gaming computers have gotten cheaper too, but consoles aren't really the "non pc owner" way to go anymore. Sure it's an alternative, but nowadays everybody has a PC and they are getting very affordable. Gaming consoles are slowly but surely turning into PC's that do nothing but play games. Soon there will be no reason to buy them because PC's will be able to do the same things and more efficiently.

Just my 2 cents.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well, what are the specs on your current PC? That might explain why you think they are garbage. I have played games on some PC's that are way better than any XBOX 360 graphics. Granted, those PC's cost $3,000 and more. Alienware has a $10,000 PC that you can buy. I guarantee you that is better than any console out there... BUT, considering even an expensive console such as the PS3 will cost say $800 or so, is the PC over 10 times as good? Not at all. Is it better? Yes.

With $10,000 gaming PC's on the market. $800 for a console doesn't sound very bad at all, especially if it's using Blu-Ray technology and supposed to be as good as Sony claims it will be.

I predict consoles will continue to go up in price as gaming technology advances. They won't go down again until either A, the demand dies down, or B, the technology becomes easier and faster to develop.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I wasn't exactly referring to the graphics or technology. Obviously PCs will always be a couple steps ahead of consoles in that department. Controls are personal preference. Some people like mouse and keyboard, others like a controller. But in terms of convenience, consoles are way better. They're easier to use. The games are built specifically for that system. There's no need to upgrade just so your machine can play a certain game. You don't need to install the game. You can play the games on the couch in front of the TV, which is way more comfortable and relaxing than playing at a desk. And then there's the whole price thing.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'm mixed on it, but I tend to get tired of my PC games long before I grow tired of my console games. Hell, I still play my NES and before.

As for Sony shooting itself in the foot, we all knew it would be expensive. Their technology that they have invested in it is very high end. Consoles have traditonally been cheaper ($200) because they use older computer technology to save on the prices. Now they are trying to use the best and newest technology on their consoles, and it is driving up the prices. This will be one of the most expensive consoles, and I don't expect the general console pricing to rise much higher than this because they are using high end technology now.

I already know people who have said they want the PS3 no matter what the price because they are that damn loyal. Do you work at a game store, Samus? Trust me, the economy doesn't mean jack to these people. The casual gamers will stick to PS2 until late in the PS3's lifespan because the stores have a continued used selection of PS2 games. Some will upgrade, and the others will simply stay in the past. I think the higher price is much better for the video game business in general, but maybe not for the consumer who wants the biggest and best. If you want the biggest and best, you have to pay the biggest and best prices.

Thermal

Registered Member
I'm still somewhat on the fence between getting the Wii and the PS3. A few weeks ago, I was leaning more toward Wii, but now I'm looking at the PS3 more and more.

While I'm not going to pretend the prices for the PS3 aren't expensive, I do think that the PS3 has a lot to offer. Most gamers are looking at the two price points, and only looking at the $600 dollars version as a viable option. A majority of these people really should be looking at the $500 version. The $500 version offers everything gamer needs to play games. For the extra hundred dollars over the Xbox 360 Premium, you’re getting:

• BD-ROM (Blu-ray player)
  • 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet port (X-Box 360’s is only 10/100Mbps)
  • Complete backwards compatibility with PSX/PS2 games
  • Linux OS
  • Extra processing power

From the E3 video of the XMB (dashboard), we can see that the PS3 will offer features that the Xbox 360 requires a Media Center to unlock. For example, PS3 will have native support for video, and a web browser. Sony also seems to be embracing hobbyist developers with Linux, which could provide features that aren’t offered natively in the XMB, or is limited in someway (i.e. only supporting specific video/audio formats). Sony also seems to be embracing standard hardware, which will allow the gamer to upgrade their hard drives (uses a 2.5” SATA laptop hard drive) and use different USB and bluetooth devices.

The $600 dollar version offers mainly conveniences by building in memory card support and WiFi; the $500 version will require you to use a USB device to acquire these features. The only thing that won’t be upgradeable will be the HDMI port, which probably won’t be a big deal for another 4 or 5 years, but by then the PS3’s price should have fallen significantly.

Last edited:

unrealphantasy3

Registered Member
ps3 is definitely the way to go they're offering SOOO much with their online service that according to developers "will match Xbox Live feature-for-feature", Blu-Ray ( by the way, 1 blu-ray disc has 5x the storage of the 360's HARD DRIVE! ), and their new controller technology, along with PSP connectivty, for only $500, which is an insanely good deal considering blu-ray movie players cost $1,000!!! the graphics are insane, and with the awesome online play that's even supposed to expand on Xbox Live, wireless motion-sensing controller, and data transfer abilities with the PSP ( movies music saves games levels, etc. ), there's really no good reason not to get the PS3!
:nod:

schmidtlet

Registered Member
i think sony has gone mad with the price of it. i was never really a big supporter of sony and all. sure the PS3 has all that good tech, but really and truly i don't care, i buy a game system to play games and almost nothing else, don't get me wrong i love all that extra stuff, but my deciding factor for buying a console would be games, control, and sometimes graphics. think about it, if sony didn't jazz up all there systems with technology then they would probably be dead by now. sony has never had that much (infasis on "that much") actual good games except for GTA and a few other games. gamewise nintendo wins, it shoot all other systems up with double HS-90s, hits them with a grenade, and kicks them straight in the nuts, and then after that it mutilates they're body and burns all the pieces then sends the burnt pieces over to Chuck Norris so he can spin kick them to the sun (srry that was a little over the edge...)
------
unrealphantasy3 said:
there's really no good reason not to get the PS3!
:nod:
yes ur right, im just gonna go over to my boss right now and ask for $600 raise so i can buy one, oh wait then i have to buy games and controllers... ok ill just ask my him to give me $1,000 raise! that should get me 3 more controllers and 5 games...
seriously though, we don't all just somehow get 600 dollars right out of the blue... and think about it, there are little kids who want this thing too that probably don't even know what $600 looks like! they'll save up they're alowance for like 30 years and still won't have enough...

Last edited: