PlayStation 3 Sony: Backwards compatability not coming back

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Nevyrmoore, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Yes folks, Sony has officially announced that they are scrapping all backwards compatibility for the PlayStation 3. In an interview with Ars Technica, Sony's John Koller stated, "It's not coming back, so let me put that on the table. It's not as big as a purchase intent driver as you may be hearing. We've got such a substantial lineup of titles on the PS3; most people are buying the PS3 for PS3 games. They've buying it for PS3 games and Blu-ray movies. That won't be returning."

So, if you fancy playing those old PS2 and PS games...better buy a PS2 again.

Source: Ars Technica (via Escapist Magazine)

2. viLky

viLky ykLiv

That's fine. I just liked the backwards compatibility mainly out of convenience. I wouldn't have to switch my consoles back and forth just to play different games. I just kept the same one out and used it for different platform games. Saved me about 5 minutes switching the whole set up. Ha

I don't mind. =D

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I heard about this and now I'm not sure I want a PS3 anymore.

Fuck, just when I thought Sony was about to take a turn for the better.

4. Envy

Envy Band Nerd ♫

That's ridiculous.

If I were to buy a PS3 the backward compatibility would be a big deal to me. I don't like going back to older consoles, and I love how all of the newer consoles have compatibility with the past generation's games. (My Wii would probably be played 1/4th the time it does if it didn't have backwards compatibility with GCN games.)

5. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I don't own a PS2 or a PS3. This is definitely a reason for me not to get the PS3. Unless this makes it noticeably cheaper?