• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PlayStation 2 Sony announces 120 mill PS2 sold

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Sony: 120 million PS2s sold - News at GameSpot

Just how many are multiple owners though, I personally know 3 people who have bought more than 3 of them, not because of high failure rate, but because lasers went out and it was cheaper to replace than repair.

some even bought the slim when their orinigal still worked fine. Should this actually be a benchmark?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I don't really think so, because I've known people who've owned 3-5 new NES systems (because of that dumb blinking red light problem that no one seemed to know the tricks for...), or Sega Dreamcast systems when they were still being sold, or even Xbox systems. I see it as a benchmark, and a very impressive one.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
I know plenty of people who had problems with there NES, but never any who bought new ones

It was 'blow in the cart' or 'wiggle cart left to right' a few times to get it to work.

Lasers always go out, my launch GC went out 2 years ago. but things like 3 rings, or dead controller ports have never happened to me with N systems.

Doc

V.I.P.
That reminds me, I borrowed a buddy's original Xbox that has a dead third controller port.

Microsoft really needs to up their hardware quality, for sure.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
really, if you want to get technical. The Gameboy sold over 120 million

GB sold over 70 mill GBC sold over 50 mill

same situation with system revision... but then again I had a GBA live through sitting in snow for 4 months.

that should be the benchmark, not something people replaced many times

Eilt_Druin

Registered Member
The PlayStation 2 has been pretty solid for me, but I expect I will be replacing it one of these years. I had to get a new NES at the end of their run because eventually even blowing in the carts didn't help. It was the only system I ever actually had to replace to keep playing games.

Gwiz

Registered Member
Actually, I had to replaced the PS2 three times due to the blue disk error and it was very annoying. Overall, the PS2 was a great system and they have lasted a long time.

Soboredtoday

i have had my ps2 now for about i think 5 years... still works perfect besides the fact that i needed like 4 memory cards..and like 6 different controllers, but other than that, i still love my ps2 but i dont reallu use it very often becuase now i just play my ps2 games on my ps3 and the best part is...no memory cards..yay

CaliforniaSteve

Registered Member
This isnt really that impressive. The fact that they have to repackage PS2s to make a profit is actually quite sad, considering they have a powerhouse in the PS3. But gamers arent ready to spend that much money on a system alone. I remember when I got my SEGA Genesis, it came with Sonic 2, and you could mail in a paper to get a free game. I got Gunstar heroes. Whatever happened to those days? If Sony would spend less time trying to dress up the PS2( making it white and selling it with Singstar Rocks!, I beileve) and would give gamers a game with thier system(Gran Turismo, maybe Resistance?) along with some Blu Ray movies(to show how much better they can look than DVDs) they wouldnt have to use the crutch that is the PS2.

Doc

V.I.P.
The Atari 2600 was on the market for an outrageous amount of time, if I remember correctly.... even after it's predecessors were released.

Also, you can get five free Blu Ray movies when you get a PS3 now.