Sonics And Suns Talking Trade?

S

scottmcgrady

Multiple sources told DraftExpress on Saturday that the Phoenix Suns and Seattle Supersonics are working on a potential blockbuster trade.

The Sonics have implied to numerous people over the past 48 hours that “something is going to go down,†while another source in Seattle told us that the Supersonics are “getting very close†to finalizing a trade.

While the exact details of the trade are still unknown, numerous names have been mentioned as key components. The main ones are Shawn Marion and Rashard Lewis, who would be exchanged along with the team’s first round draft choices (#10 for #27). Other pieces that are being discussed include Leandro Barbosa and Danny Fortson.

Seattle is interested in moving Rashard Lewis due to the fact that they believe he will opt out of his contract next summer and end up losing him for nothing. With so many concerns about the future of the franchise in Seattle, the best way to put fans in the seats is certainly to start winning more games, which is the primary motive of this trade.

Phoenix’s motive is to avoid the luxury tax for next season, which they are dangerously close to, and still keep the team as competitive as they are now. The Suns still have to extend Boris Diaw for 5 years and anywhere from 45-55 million dollars, which would put them well above the luxury tax threshold.

With Leandro Barbosa looking for a contract starting in the 7-8 million dollar range, and Steve Nash, Amare Stoudamire and Shawn Marion making max or near max dollars, keeping their core together past next season does not appear to be very likely.

Instead, the Suns can save quite a bit of money in the long term by taking on Rashard Lewis’ more affordable deal and securing an immediate contributor (such as Rodney Carney or Ronnie Brewer) on a cheap 4 year rookie contract. Lewis makes over 5 million dollars less than Marion.

Danny Fortson would be used as filler to make the trade work under the cap. He is an ending contract next year and could either give the Suns more toughness, rebounding and depth, be used as trade bait, or bought out of his contract. That depends on whether or not he can resolve his differences with Jerry Colangelo, whom he sued for defamation in 2004 for calling him a “thug†in the media after breaking Zarko Cabarkapa’s wrist in a game between Dallas and Phoenix.
If Marion and Lewis get traded for eachother, i don't think it would be a good trade because Marion is better than Lewis and i don't think that Lewis is what the Suns need, Marion is what the Suns need. Your thoughts?

S

scottmcgrady

True and if they did trade for the money, i would get so angry. There is one thing i hate an NBA player and that is if they are playing just for the money and with no heart, i hate that and I'm not saying that they are just in it for the money, because they seem to play with heart, but if they are actually in it just for the money, i would get so angry.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Marion is good and an important part of the Suns team. He's one of their key players. If they go through with this, I hope the Suns will still be as good as before.

And yes, it is for the money. Even though the owners are millionaires and billionaires, they still don't want to pay extra cash if they don't need to.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This would be a good trade for both sides in a way because Lewis and Marion are very good players, but both in a couple of years will make a lot of money especially Lewis. But I truly believe that this trade would help the Sonics more then the suns, because Marion is like a 5 tool party.

G

Gustavo

Why does Phoenix want to get rid of Marion so much?

Anyone eles think Mike D'antonio is a bad GM?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The reason why is because in a couple of years he's going to want a lot of money, and that's the same thing with Rashad Lewis, so like the message said they want to avoid salary cap, so if they get Marion salary off the books then it will help them a lot with that.

M

Midnight

Sure in financial terms that benefits the Suns. On the court, I think the Suns give up a lot of hustle and scoring in Marion. He is one of their most versatile players. Rashard Lewis doesn't or probably won't have nearly the same impact.

The NBA is a business.

G

Gustavo

Shawn Marion is undderated. Without Shawn Marian, i dont think phoenix can win a champianship. Rashard Lewis cant replace shawn marion. Period.

T

Too Easy

The only reason the Sonics are thinkin of doing this is because they believe Rashard will leave them next year cause he has the option to opt out of his contract, and they dont want to lose him for nothing. However Shawn Marion fits the Suns system really well so i dont understand what they will be accomplishing by this trade. I know that by taking Rashard they will save money but Shawn Marion does a lot of intagiable things for the team, he hustles for loose balls, rebounds, and always plays hard. A very underated player indeed. IMO I think that Rashard and Tim Thomas are somewhat similar so i dont know why you would do something like this. I dounbt this will happen but if it does, it might take some time to see who got the better of the trade.