• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Songs/Groups too sacred to cover?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Yesterday I heard a cover by Stone Sour of The Rolling Stones' Gimme Shelter. While it didn't suck, it still hurt my heart because that's pretty much my favorite Stones tune and I think it's almost sacrilege to cover a perfect and iconic song like Gimme Shelter. It's like remaking Casablanca.

Are there any songs or artists that you feel are too sacred or iconic for a much lesser-known band to cover?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yesterday I heard a cover by Stone Sour of The Rolling Stones' Gimme Shelter. While it didn't suck, it still hurt my heart because that's pretty much my favorite Stones tune and I think it's almost sacrilege to cover a perfect and iconic song like Gimme Shelter. It's like remaking Casablanca.

Are there any songs or artists that you feel are too sacred or iconic for a much lesser-known band to cover?
If a good band covers a good song, it usually turns out pretty well. On a related note, Bruce Springsteen songs should never be covered.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Yeah imo all songs are too sacred to cover. I mean even if another band pwns a song its still not theirs and they should write their own stuff. Music is self expression.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was thinking about this last night and a couple of songs came to mind that I believe it would be hard to cover:

Billy Joel - New York State of Mind
Michael Jackson - Off The Wall
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird

That said, I love Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin but Heart covered the song and it was ten times better. It was so powerful.

thealigator

Registered Member
It has been covered multiple times by multiple artists but I still think "Like a Rolling Stone" should not be covered. It's Dylan’s song and should never be confused as by someone else in my opinion. In fact I would say that about most of Dylan’s work.

I would also hate the following Oasis songs being covered:

Wonderwall (though Jay Z tried to)
Acquiesce
Half the World Away
Don't Look Back in Anger
Champagne Supernova

The songs ARE Oasis, they are the songs that summed up for me one of the best British bands ever.