Songaila To The Wizards

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Washington Post - Bulls free agent Darius Songaila has agreed to a five year, $21 million deal with the Washington Wizards , the Washington Post is reporting. Songaila had previously been waiting for the Sacramento Kings to tie up loose ends with free agent Bonzi Wells to see if there was a chance he could return to the Kings.

The Wizards were interested in Songaila last summer before the 6-foot-8, 240-pounder signed a two-year contract with the Bulls, earning $2.2 million last season. However, Songaila declined to pick up the second-year option on that contract and drew interest from several teams before agreeing to terms with the Wizards yesterday.

Before signing with Chicago, Songaila played two seasons with the Kings, where he averaged 6.1 points and 3.7 rebounds while shooting 51.2 percent. Like the Wizards, the Kings ran a version of the Princeton offense and Songaila carved out a role as a good midrange shooter who flourished in the pick-and-roll game, and as a solid rebounder.

The addition of Songaila should give the Wizards some much-needed depth in the front court

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41555/20060717/songaila_to_the_wizards/

G

Gustavo

Great pickup. I cant beleive that the wizards landed him, so cheap. Im sure if he waited a bit, he would have had a bigger contract. To bad, oh well im happy for the washington.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It is a great pick up I agree with you, I don't think he would of played a lot in Chicago if he decided to stay, so it was a good move for him to go to another team. Now he's going to help the Wizards with some scoring and some hard nose playing, just hopefully he will remain healthy.

X

Xero.Shab

Yeah, but I believe we overpaid him a bit. He isn't all that GREAT, but he's a good pickup.

G

Gustavo

Tracy McGrady said:
Yeah, but I believe we overpaid him a bit. He isn't all that GREAT, but he's a good pickup.
It was not us that got him.

I dont think they the wizards overpayed him. Many beleive that, but watch this guy improve. He is only 25. He is a rough player that plays defence, rebound, and shoot. He does the dirty work for teams, and works hard. I would have him any day on my team. ;)

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree I don't think he got overpayed either, each year he has gotten better, and I think he's going to get even better with the Wizards if he gets playing time. Like Gustavo said this guy is only 25 years old, and he does anything you ask him to do on the court, which is very good.

V

Vinsane

In my opinion, the better way to Songaila is stay in Chicago, because, after the trades that happened, Chicago had been better...and he maybe will get better with the team

G

Gustavo

Vinsane said:
In my opinion, the better way to Songaila is stay in Chicago, because, after the trades that happened, Chicago had been better...and he maybe will get better with the team
At a young age, I think he likes to get playing time. With the additions that John Paxon made in Chicago, he will prob get 10 minutes a game if lucky. In Washington i know he will get around 15-20 minutes a game. Also, Washington is a good team too, and i think they will make the playoffs. They still are going to make some moves this offseason. They need a inside for sure.

B

baltimore

Yeah not quite what i hoped for but fair deal.
He does the dirty work and is pretty awesome shooter.
Hopefully he will give us mreo presence under the boards cause that's what the wiz need.