• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Something Unusual Found In a Banana

penny4URthoughts

Registered Member
Consi Taylor was halfway through a banana when she saw a white spot on the skin, which she thought was a patch of mold. That thought is gross enough, but then the "spot" burst open and baby spiders started scurrying across the fruit (and here's where we threw up in our mouths a little).
This hasn't happened to me yet, thank goodness. However, I suggest you fruit-lovers be careful when you eat, especially fruit that require peeling. I don't know how a spider would end up in a banana, but gross!:sick:

Brazilian Wandering Spiders found in bananas bought at Sainsbury's

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
That would be gross and scary since it was one of the most venomous spiders in the world. One bite from one of them could kill you.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
That's horrible. I really hate spiders and couldn't imagine a bunch of them bursting out of a banana.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
This story made my skin crawl. Ew ew ew. But honestly, it's not that bizarre for spider eggs to be in any fruit really. I don't even really blame Sainsbury's. It was nice of them to put the family up in a hotel while they have their house fumigated.

It's scary because it turned out to be a very poisonous spider, but really, that's nature for you. :-/

Taliesin

Registered Member
Hm, this sounds like a bit of an urban myth to me, and this link should give you an idea why I suspect it to be so. :rolleyes:

Still, I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
You might be on to something about that link actually. I didn't even notice that. I believe the story though. The only thing that sounds far fetched is the type of spider it supposedly was.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Wandering spiders are known to be found with bananas as banana trees are where they hunt. Because of this, it's actually extremely dangerous to farm bananas since the adults like to hide in between the individual fruits.

There's a photo the person actually took on this page:

Spiders on bananas: White egg sac teems with spiders, market mayhem in the UK - Chicago Top News | Examiner.com

I've never heard of them nesting ON bananas but it is not outside the realm of possibility. And yes as it has been noted, they're one of the most venomous creatures in the world.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I don't see why this is news. Spiders often make their egg sacks in fruit. I've had heaps of apples, etc in the past with little whit spider eggs sacks. I just throw them out or cut around them.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I don't see why this is news. Spiders often make their egg sacks in fruit. I've had heaps of apples, etc in the past with little whit spider eggs sacks. I just throw them out or cut around them.
Because if you read the article, this isn't just any spider. This is something incredibly dangerous. Sure, hitchhikers show up with fruit deliveries all the time, but it's probably still a good idea to let people know that some of them are very, very deadly.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Crazy Aussies. I totally believe you would just eat around it. Hardcore. :lol:

Thing is, I see it from time to time as well and I also just throw those away. I am petrified of spiders though and the fact that these are do deadly does give me chills. And I get why it's such a big deal in the UK as well. The UK really doesn't have a lot of spiders. I think I saw 3 spiders in 15 months of living there. Ironic then that the only spider bite I ever had was in the UK.

I'd probably make Sainsbury's pay to fumigate my house as well. I still think Sainsbury's handled all this quite well.