Something that irritates me in anime

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Vegito728, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Vegito728

Vegito728 Registered Member

Is when a character loses their memory for an extended period of time. This just really bugs me. It seems to happen in a lot of anime and I would like for it to stop, NOW. This just happened in
    Code Geass with CC
    Hopefully it won't last too long.

That's enough ranting for me today. What are everyone else’s thoughts on this?

2. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

They do it all the time in dramas too, recently in nip/tuck. It's just a thing they like to do.

3. Henskie

Henskie The Super Pimp of GF

I think in some animes if could work like in Death note but in a lot of others it does just get annoying

4. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

Memory loss in anime in general pisses me off. Especially when the character is thoroughly developed.

5. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

Faye's was good because she had it from the beginning of the series and she wasn't constantly going on about it.

6. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

I think Amnesia just becomes an easy way to further a lazy plot, not just in anime. Spider-man 3 did it too.....

7. KiethBlackLion

KiethBlackLion Registered Member

It's ok if it's done right. Most of the time, it isn't. Zoids started off with Fiona not knowing who she was. She only partially regained it (never knowing all of her past). It was part of the main plot, but as time went on, it became less important than Van's journey as a Zoid pilot.

I agree that's it's used way too much.

8. Henskie

I think they are more talking loosing it mid series like C.C. or people just forgetting from something

9. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

Yep that is exactly what we are talking about.

As Alt pointed out it is just lazy writing. Giving a main character amnesia is just an easy way to change the dynamics of the show.

10. Henskie

yea but that majorly differs from establishing a plot based around a character having amnesia.