Something occurred to me the other day

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
DC is a very strictly regulated city when it comes to guns. I guess the idea is no guns = no crime. Why then are there metal detectors at all the Smithsonian museums? If gun control really worked, you wouldn't need these metal detectors to detect the guns that are supposedly not there… :huh:

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I don't think any advocate of gun control would claim that such measures eliminate all guns completely in all circumstances. That would be a pretty absurd way of thinking. You may very well be countering a giant man of straw here. I'm sure gun control doesn't even improve the situation in every area it may be enacted in. That doesn't mean that it never works to improve matters though.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Have you been thru the security at the Smithsonian? They search your bag, send it thru an x-ray machine, you go thru a detector and they wand you if you beep. I'm just saying... it seems a little extreme for a city that’s supposedly gun free. Why would one need to carry around a knife or any weapon for that matter if it’s a "gun free" city? Shouldn't it be safe according to the anti-gunner reasoning?

R

Raak

DC is a very strictly regulated city when it comes to guns. I guess the idea is no guns = no crime. Why then are there metal detectors at all the Smithsonian museums? If gun control really worked, you wouldn't need these metal detectors to detect the guns that are supposedly not there… :huh:
My guess is for those people who live right outside of D.C that don't have to apply to those gun laws thereby being able to bring into Washington D.C their legally purchased weapon...that's my guess for why they have metal detectors.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
My guess is for those people who live right outside of D.C that don't have to apply to those gun laws thereby being able to bring into Washington D.C their legally purchased weapon...that's my guess for why they have metal detectors.
The law says no guns in DC. Just because I'm from another state doesn't make me exempt from DC law.

Nosferatu_Alucard

Undead Intellectual
DC is a "gun free place" because of all this extra security.

Why would anyone want to carry around a weapon of any kind? Hell if I know. The same reason they carry one around in the rest of the states.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
DC is a "gun free place" because of all this extra security.
DC is not gun free... it's only gun free from law abiding people. Not the criminals. If these laws really were going to work and if DC were truly gun free, there would be no need for metal detectors because that would mean everyone would follow the laws... including criminals, which isn't the case because of DC's insanely high violent crime rate. This just proves my point that the laws only effect the people who won't shoot the place up.

Why would anyone want to carry around a weapon of any kind? Hell if I know. The same reason they carry one around in the rest of the states.
The same reason you lock your doors at night and put your seat belt on in the car. There is a HUGE difference between a robber with a gun and a law abiding Joe with a gun. If mugged, robbed, stalked or assaulted I'd like to protect myself and my family. I know the laws, I know when I legally can and can't use my gun. I am not a felon or mentally ill. I have trained and passed a test... My wife knows I carry and she prefers I do with all the wackos out there in the world. The only thing bad ppl respond to is force... not "lets sit and talk about this".

Gavik

Registered Member
The detectors/x-rays are for guns AS WELL AS bombs, knives and other lovely instruments of destruction.

And also, these detectors are part of the gun free system. There'd be no point to having a gun free city without ways to enforce it such as these. Why do you think schools have metal detectors? Guns aren't allowed in schools are they?

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
The detectors/x-rays are for guns AS WELLAS
bombs, knives and other lovely instruments of destruction. And also, these detectors are part of the gun free system. There'd be no point to having a gun free city without ways to enforce it such as these.
If the law worked... which it doesn't obviously... no one would carry any weapon in DC. You’re not getting what I'm trying to get at here. The metal detectors proves my point that people know gun prohibition laws don’t work and criminals will still try to get in with them. It further proves that only law abiding citizens will not have them, and only criminals will.

Why do you think schools have metal detectors? Guns aren't allowed in schools are they?
And its no wonder schools are always getting shot up... I like to call them "defenseless zones".

Metal detectors do nothing 1. No one will be stupid enough to stand in line for a metal detector if they do have a gun 2. They’d find another way to get in and 3. Even if they wait in line, that’s the point at which they'd probably pull it out and shoot anyone near by.