• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Some Pretty Epic Modernized GoldenEye 64 Music for Free

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
If you ever played GoldenEye 64 back in the day, you're probably a fan of the classic music for the game. This isn't exactly the most recent news, but there's a GoldenEye Half-Life mod that's been fan supported and fan developed for almost two decades now. Even if you're not into paying the mod (it was cool back in the day, but I haven't had time for a ton of games lately), you can download the entire soundtrack for free here:

Here are a few examples of the tracks:

And they're all available on YouTube as well here: GoldenEye: Source - OST

I love listening to it while just doing busy work or whatever. Lately, I've been doing a ton of desk work so this has come in handy. I just today thought to check if they had updated the tracks and they added about 50% more than I had downloaded previously.

And as much as I enjoy the nostalgia from the classic soundtrack, which I recorded directly from the game MANY years ago, I have to say these have a modern pop sound that more than justifies giving them a place at the table—or at least in a playlist with the classic tracks. 😎

dDave

V.I.P.
I’ve always preferred the uncompressed stuff from the game. Turns out the N64, though great for the time, wasn’t actually all that good at reproducing the original tracks.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
@dDave, that sounds incredible compared to the originals in the game. Do you know how somebody got ahold of those? It sounds like entirely different instruments and sounds in some sorts, except it’s exactly in sync with the n64 version music.

dDave

V.I.P.
@Mirage yeah, uncompressed isn't really the right word for it, that's just what the uploader on youtube decided to call it. More or less, they're made using a much higher quality synthesizer.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
@dDave, I wish Grant Kirkhope didn’t realize he wasn’t going to be able to use those samples until after making the entire soundtrack. 😂 Looks like being became aware of the problem after those 7 or so tracks so those are the only ones that exist in that quality.

He had to have been annoyed.Nothing worse for an audio guy to hear than “Yeah you have to make your music fit on this small memory card and the only way to do that is to drop quality.”

dDave

V.I.P.
@dDave, I wish Grant Kirkhope didn’t realize he wasn’t going to be able to use those samples until after making the entire soundtrack. 😂 Looks like being became aware of the problem after those 7 or so tracks so those are the only ones that exist in that quality.

He had to have been annoyed.Nothing worse for an audio guy to hear than “Yeah you have to make your music fit on this small memory card and the only way to do that is to drop quality.”
He was probably doing the work ahead of time knowing it would have to be converted. To make digital music like him you have to really have a firm understanding of the technology you're using. He would have known this was going on the N64 even before he got the dev kit. This is further evidenced by the fact that it's not the first N64 game he did work on for music.

The sad thing is that all other consoles from that era, PS1, Sega Saturn, and PC were all able to produce much better audio quality due to using CD based technolgy. Instead of 16, 32, or 64mb, everyone else was working on more like 800mb. That's why the N64 uses instruments and a library of samples and a build file to do music instead of having the actual music itself right on the cartridge, it would have taken up too much space. That's why CD Audio in games used to be a really big deal. N64 was super cool but it's simply dated at this point. Doesn't change the fact that I love it.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Ok, I came across this today and had to add it to this thread. This guy reproduced the entire soundtrack using the original timing. Meant to be more of a true reproduction than a cover. He did a stellar job.