• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Some new speakers!

dDave

V.I.P.
I spent the day getting a pretty sweet deal on some speakers.

Here's what I got.

All Klipsch...

Klipsch KSW-10

Klipsch RC-35 (Center Channel)

Klipsch RS-25 (small main/surround speakers)

I get home to find out that all of these speakers work great but I simply do not have enough system power on my Onkyo TX-2500 MK receiver to run these things properly. (Onkyo TX-2500 on thevintageknob.org)

I'll have to look for a good deal on a new receiver, maybe one that gives upwards of 100w of power per channel. (I was thinking of maybe a Marantz 5001)

For now I just have the two RS-25 speakers connected and they sound fantastic all on their own. I can't wait to get that center channel connected though. It's WAY bigger than I thought it was going to be and I'll be it sounds astounding at full power.

I got all of these well below any price you'll find on most every craigslist listing and far lower than anything that I've seen sold on eBay over the past month. The condition is also excellent.

dDave

V.I.P.
I purchased a receiver yesterday on eBay for a good price. I got a Marantz SR 5001. It's 630w 7.1 channel. Runs 90 watts constant per channel. I know this will be a good receiver for me because I already know the interface as I have a very similar model already in my home.

I'm looking to get some Klipsch RF-52 speakers to finish the ensemble. I'm going to run those (or whatever similar main L & R speakers I get) through a 1200w THX Lucasfilm Citation amp so as not to stress the amp in the new receiver I got. I'm probably going to run the center through it as well.

I also bought a few fiber optic cables and a subwoofer cable because I know I'm gonna need them.

So far this is turning out to be incredibly cheap considering what I've got. All I need are the main speakers to finish it all.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's a really nice set up. I bet it sounds fantastic.

I have a older surround sound system and I wouldn't want to be without it. The difference between surround sound and not having it is like the difference between night and day. It makes movies much more enjoyable.

dDave

V.I.P.
That's a really nice set up. I bet it sounds fantastic.

I have a older surround sound system and I wouldn't want to be without it. The difference between surround sound and not having it is like the difference between night and day. It makes movies much more enjoyable.
Yeah. I'm a bit of an audiophile :D. Gotta love some nice sound equipment.

Surround sound really is just fantastic. I make a big deal out of it because it just adds to the level of realism I get when I watch a movie and it makes music sound live if you have it set up properly.

What I love about sound equipment is that it's not improving so constantly that you feel like you can't keep up as is true with video equipment. I could still have this stereo 20 years from now and I could still think it sounds awesome whereas having a TV from today in 20 years would just be laughable.

I actually have a set of Bose 141 series II (I think I posted about that a while back). I may use those as my mid speakers in a 7.1 setup or I could just drop to a 5.1 which would still sound fantastic. Selling the Bose speakers would be really easy and I'd get way more than what I spent on them (I got them for $30 with my current Onkyo receiver)

The cool thing about the room I'm using this in is the fact that it's set up symmetrically and I can mount the smaller Klipsch speakers in the back of the room close to the ceiling (they came with the right mounting hardware for that)

Last edited:

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Congrats! The only cool sounds in the whole universe are surround-sounds. Everything else is just noise. And with 90 watts per channel thats a ton of cool sounds!
Oh and welcome to planet Audiophile!

dDave

V.I.P.
I think surround sound is fantastic.

Here's how I'm thinking my final setup will look by the time I'm done...

I don't have a pair of RF-52s just yet but I see that coming in the near future. Still, the front speakers (L - C - R) are all going to be really big and I don't think even 90 watts per channel is quite going to cut it. Luckily I have a huge 1200w amp that I can run at 300w per channel which is apparently safe.

Citation (at 300w per channel)
-Main speakers (RF-52)
-Center speaker (RC-35)

Receiver (at 90w per channel)
-Rear speakers (RS-25)
-Mid speakers (I have a pair of Bose 141 series II that I may run here or I could just stick with 5.1, leaning towards the latter)

I'll connect this with an TV, blu ray, and bluetooth adapter for my phone. Should be the most perfect setup ever for me.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah. I'm a bit of an audiophile :D. Gotta love some nice sound equipment.

Surround sound really is just fantastic. I make a big deal out of it because it just adds to the level of realism I get when I watch a movie and it makes music sound live if you have it set up properly.

What I love about sound equipment is that it's not improving so constantly that you feel like you can't keep up as is true with video equipment. I could still have this stereo 20 years from now and I could still think it sounds awesome whereas having a TV from today in 20 years would just be laughable.

I actually have a set of Bose 141 series II (I think I posted about that a while back). I may use those as my mid speakers in a 7.1 setup or I could just drop to a 5.1 which would still sound fantastic. Selling the Bose speakers would be really easy and I'd get way more than what I spent on them (I got them for $30 with my current Onkyo receiver)

The cool thing about the room I'm using this in is the fact that it's set up symmetrically and I can mount the smaller Klipsch speakers in the back of the room close to the ceiling (they came with the right mounting hardware for that)
One Christmas when my son was in Jr High I bought him some nice JPL speakers. I wanted to give him something that he would use for years to come and that was the only thing I could think of to buy.

Sounds like you have it set up right, would love to hear it. Surround sound is one thing where the speakers have to be in the right place to get the full effect.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if you are still using it 20 years from now especially the speakers.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I think surround sound is fantastic.

Here's how I'm thinking my final setup will look by the time I'm done...

I don't have a pair of RF-52s just yet but I see that coming in the near future. Still, the front speakers (L - C - R) are all going to be really big and I don't think even 90 watts per channel is quite going to cut it. Luckily I have a huge 1200w amp that I can run at 300w per channel which is apparently safe.

Citation (at 300w per channel)
-Main speakers (RF-52)
-Center speaker (RC-35)

Receiver (at 90w per channel)
-Rear speakers (RS-25)
-Mid speakers (I have a pair of Bose 141 series II that I may run here or I could just stick with 5.1, leaning towards the latter)

I'll connect this with an TV, blu ray, and bluetooth adapter for my phone. Should be the most perfect setup ever for me.
That totally should pwn! :cool: And yeah there shouldnt be any issues if you have decent fuses on the speakers. That works best if the fuses are rated for higher watts than the speaker rating. Fuses are a lot cheaper to replace than speakers.

dDave

V.I.P.
That totally should pwn! :cool: And yeah there shouldnt be any issues if you have decent fuses on the speakers. That works best if the fuses are rated for higher watts than the speaker rating. Fuses are a lot cheaper to replace than speakers.
Oh yeah, it's going to be a sick system when it's all finished. Really looking forward to it.

I figured out the last piece of the puzzle last night. That being how to set the remote power trigger on the amp so it doesn't just sit turned on at 1200w constant even when not in use. Gonna have it connected to the new receiver via a mono 3.5mm cable that serves only to send a signal for whether or not the receiver is on so the amp can turn on and off without having to manually switch it way on the back of the unit.

You wouldn't believe all the little things about a system like this. The cables you need, the settings you need to have, connecting everything in the right order, etc. It's all pretty complicated but it's a place where I seem to thrive.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Oh I do believe it. Im always dealing with hook-ups and wiring but its so worth it to get those sounds! And it backs up any really dench home theatre system. The only part I dont like is untangling all the wires and cables when I wanna change something up. Well, still worth it. xD