Solo RPG Character or Group RPG Characters

Solo Character or Group of Characters

• Total voters
Do you prefer to play RPG games as a solo character only or control a group of people? EX: a solo rpg would be Soul Blaze (SNES), Illusion of Gaia (SNES), Alundra (PS1), Zelda (most platforms) or Parasite Eve (PS1). A group rpg could be Final Fantasy 7 (PS1), Star Ocean (PS2) or Chrono Trigger (SNES)?

I prefer a solo character RPG since it's easier for me to micromanage one character rather than a whole bunch at one time. I also stay alive longer. :')

Tekkei

Registered Member
When it comes to console RPGs, I prefer parties to solo play. I just grew up playing party-based RPG games (Final Fantasy, Legend of Dragoon, Grandia...), so I got used to it, and I prefer it over solo-based RPGs.

But for MMOs, I prefer to play alone rather than in a party. Other people slow me down, and they also tend to be annoying. Maybe I'm too focused on gaming when it comes down to it, but I'm not one who likes small talk during a quest or whatever when I'm in the middle of a battle or trying to figure out a puzzle. Plus, there's a lot of people who play MMOs that are complete asses, and I don't have the patience to deal with them.

Tekkei

Registered Member
I'm all about the groups. I like being able to customize my party so that each person serves a purpose.
I have a problem with that. All my characters seem to go one way: brute strength. But I make sure that they're all well-rounded, at least. What kind of party do you usually have? Like, a defensive character, offensive character, magicks character? Something like that?

Usually something like that, depending on the game and how the skills system is set up. For example: in FF VII, I had one character that was basically my designated healer, one was basically my magic/offensive skill user, and one was for physical attacks and the stronger summons.

Tekkei

Registered Member
Vincent Valentine said:
Usually something like that, depending on the game and how the skills system is set up. For example: in FF VII, I had one character that was basically my designated healer, one was basically my magic/offensive skill user, and one was for physical attacks and the stronger summons.
Ah, I see. I don't think I actually had a healer on my party when I was playing that game. I think I just had everyone equip a Cura materia and left it at that. After you build up your characters to a certain level, you don't really need to use healing that often because your defense/HP is too high for monsters to really do much damage.

I got a question for all veteran RPG-gamers who have played Final Fantasy games, though. In the Final Fantasy games, there is usually a character that seems to be the "weakest link", such as Yuffie from FFVII, or Rikku from FFX. My question is; am I the only one that spent time leveling up these characters? Yuffie and Rikku are my favorites from those games, and they grew to be my strongest. I'm wondering if I'm the only one who realized their potential, or if other people have noticed that sometimes the weakest characters can become your strongest assets.

I leveled up Yuffie because she has a Limit Breaker that can hit 9999 more than once. Cid and Cloud had a Limit that could do that, too. I never notice her being weak. Maybe because I gave her Long Range materia and stuck her in the back row. :p

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
I voted for a group of characters just for dungeon siege, that game was very well built and I really liked how the party system worked in that game.

Every character did serve a purpose and different characters had different abilities.

Tekkei

Registered Member
@ViLky--A lot of people I've talked to before have considered Yuffie as the weakest character. But yeah, she does have a strong-ass limit breaker, and if you get her ultimate weapon, she's practically invincible.