Solar Cells or Iraq?

U

ubikk

Begin {random thought};

This is a completely random thought, but I decided to do a little calculation to see what would have happened if we used the $500 billion we spent in Iraq to buy solar cells instead.

At the current solar cost of about 30 cents per killowatt, That we could have supplied about 150,000 megawatts of electricity or about 19% of total U.S. demand for electricity, annually. Most solar cells sold today come with a 25-year warranty.

Note, that that estimate does not include the huge "volume discount" that would result from the increased economy of scale for so large an investment. So, the actual amount of electrity produce would probably be much higher.

End {random thought};

M

Mecha

Well, there are severe limitations to the number of solar cells that could be produced, and solar is poor for primary power production (unreliablity), but great for supplementing the grid and delaying power problems due to growth without proper planning.

At $40k a pop, you could get 12.5 million electric cars for $500 billion. I'd imagine that would put a large dent in the gasoline consumption. I'd assume they could be gotten for less than $40k, but the extra would probably have to compensate for massive production limits and to build the requisite mining projects (ie for the electric engine componets) and factories.

It just staggers the mind what could be done if we had an actual leader.

~Mecha

T

Tatertot

How about this instead, we take the $500 billion and use it toward lowering the deficit :O

T

Tatertot

1/2 trillion dollars that people aren't collecting interest on would make some headway into the deficit. You wouldn't get terribly far, but you need to start somewhere.

M

Mecha

Google said:
the deficit in fiscal 2006 would be $361 billion
$500 billion would take care of most of the deficit. Now, the national debt on the other hand...

However, using a large sum of money to fix the problems of our nation*, combined with honest reform, would save us many times the money and lives the interest would cost.

*- Primary, Secondary, Post-Secondary education; re-education for the changing market; health care for all the people in our nation who need it; health care capacity for when the next epidemic hits; organizations which can respond to emergencies; repair and update the national electrical grids; planning and building for future electrical needs; agricultural and enviromental overhaul; updated taxation and market regulations; a federal agency for energy needs; ect ect

~Mecha

D

doniston

UBIKK and MECHA I think you both have excelent Ideas, but true, we need a president that is on the ball to accomplish it.

I'm not sure solar cells are the way to go if you're going to allocate $500 billion, but between solar cells and war it would be better on solar cells.

$500 billion would take care of most of the deficit. Now, the national debt on the other hand...
I honestly do not see how we're going to ever pay off the debt... it's just inconceivably high.

Hoosier_Daddy

Registered Member
The current debt as of toay is $8,467,163,174,719.01

We've averaged and increase of 1.86 billion a day since Sept 30, 2005

With a total population of 299,298,626.

So each citizen's share of this debt is $28,290.02.

Un-freakin real.

Hoosier.

M

Mecha

I honestly do not see how we're going to ever pay off the debt... it's just inconceivably high.
Lets say the total debt is $15 trillion. If we pay down $100 billion a year, it would take 150 years to pay off, assuming we pay interest as well and not taking inflation into account... Hmm... The "cheat" would be to let inflation chip away at it over time, while paying down a token $50b the first year and increase as time goes on w/ inflationary pressure. Painless.

The real+tough way to get rid of the debt would simply be to make it a high priority over the next 5 or so decades. Bush's tax cut in 2001 was 1.3 trillion over x number of years, for perspective.

Considering the US Federal Gov took in $1.862 trillion this year, it is not impossible at all. And that is with immense problems of the rich and corporations using off shore tax shelters, IRS turning a blind eye toward them, ect ect.

~Mecha