"Soft Language"

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Merc, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

First, watch the video (ignore the shitty subtitles):

YouTube - George Carlin Doin'It Again cz 6 6 napisy pl

Keep in mind, this bit came out in 1990, years before we'd hear about the problems with political correctness. My question to you is simple, do you think this epidemic of soft language is degrading to our society as Carlin suggests?

Mirage likes this.

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I watched the whole video. I don't really have much to add. I pretty much agree with what he said. He pitches it as comedy but you can tell it's more than that to him. He's just as annoyed with this as the rest of us.

Where are all of these people who are softening up these phrases though? I can never seem to run across any of them. All I ever run into is people who are annoyed with this. :-/
    ------
    Not to mention the phrase "Politically Correct"... How about calling it what it really is?

Neutered language, soft language, baby talk, watered down language, etc.

The phrase politically correct doesn't even make sense to describe what it's supposed to describe.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  3. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

When I was a student [working in a supermarket], it pissed-me-off how we were told to approach and refer to the disabled.

We were not even allowed to refer to diabetics as 'diabetic' or 'HAVING diabetes' as it labelled them.

A man and his family were driving down the road, when the 7yr Son in the back says 'Look, a Moo Moo!' The Dad said 'You're old enough now to call it a cow.'
    Then a while later, the boy said 'Look, a baa, baa.' The Dad said 'It's a sheep. You're turning into a big boy now, so you need to use the right words.'
    They'd gone a goo few miles and there was no sound from the Son, so the Dad said 'What are you doing?'
    'I'm reading' the Son replied.
    'Really?' asked the Dad. 'What are you reading?'
    'Winnie the shit!' said the boy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  4. Merc

So I guess the question then becomes, how do you stop this PC disease? Is there any way of approaching it?

5. DinoFlintstone

My way is to ignore it. You're not breaking any laws. Of course, common sense is called for, but that's a different matter.

6. Merc

By ignoring it, you're condoning it. Especially if you're not a fan of it and still choose to ignore it.

7. DinoFlintstone

By 'ignoring it' I mean I ignore the rules. Again, my example of working in a supermarket. You were not allowed to ask midgets of people in wheel-chairs if they want help finding or reaching something.
    I don't think I saw a midget in the shop, whenever I passed someone alone in a wheel-chair, and they were looking to the top of a shelf, it's common sense that they can't reach the top, so in my polite nature, I'd ask if there was any way I could help. These people would usually smile and say 'Yes please' or 'No thank you... ... ...'
    They never flopped out of their chair and wriggled on the floor having a fit since I 'spotted' that they may need help.

The other one is gays. If you're gay, you're gay. It's not my thing, and I don't particularly like it, but I don't hate it either, yet there is a gay 'PC brigade' and in my eyes... ... ... they can fuck right off.

8. Merc

Then you just look like an upstart, someone with no intention of changing the laws. It's not enough to just say fuck the rules and tell some lady with thirteen kids she's loose, you need to make an active effort to change things. After all, in the words of Carlin, if you control language you control though. The PC movement is not about controlling what people say, it's about controlling them.

9. DinoFlintstone

I couldn't give a rats arse about the law in that sense. It's not illegal to call someone disabled, but it's not PC. It's not illegal to call the elderly 'Old people' but it's just not PC.
    As for the woman with 13 kids... I'd think she's a good loving Mother. :D

10. Merc

It can be construed as illegal if they claim harassment or any of the other insane claims people make these days. Bottom line, you're still not helping the issue Dino, you're making it worse.