Socialized Health Care

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I'm no advocate of socialized health care. I think it has more negative implications then good. I am more for free market health care, and can see how it keeps costs low. I don't like the health insurance bureaucracy in this country either. They spend more time and money denying you and filling out paper work then it would cost to just approve you. I'm currently dealing with two impacted wisdom teeth that are so painful I can not eat. Yet the insurance company will not approve the cost to have them removed. I can get the appointment, but I will not know if I will be covered or not until I get there, and oral surgeons charge up front. We don't have the money. It'll be 2K or more, not counting anesthetic. I'm so frustrated right now... I don't know what to do. I don't agree with socialized health care, but i'm begining to dislike all the health insurance bullshit. Where does that leave me?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree with you. I had to pay for some similar things recently and it's no fun.

I actually buy my own health insurance BUT I don't have dental insurance. Interestingly enough I'm not even sure if the proposed health care plans would cover dental issues.

Here's what I think needs to be done to lower the cost of health care. There needs to be a law that requires every American citizen to buy health insurance for themselves and their families. This is how Massachusetts does it and the cost of health care became affordable because EVERYBODY was paying in. Not to mention the fact that everybody gets to choose where they go for their health care, who they go through for insurance, etc, instead of the government telling you where you can or can't go based on whatever factors.

I'm all for ways of making it more affordable but I agree with you that socialized health care is not the answer.

Last edited:

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I think the issue is all the malpractice suits and frivolous lawsuits. Thats part of the reason health care costs are high. Doctors pass the malpractice insurance cost on to you. People sue over stupid shit and other people pay for it. I really don't think forcing people to get insurance is the answer either. Thats not freedom. Ill be honest Hybrix... I don't have an answer.

CMK_Eagle

Registered Member
IMO, healthcare is little different from roads. Both are necessities in a modern state, and thus it's entirely proper for the government to help ensure that all have access to them. I just don't want to be treated by the healthcare equivalent of the DOT.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
IMO, healthcare is little different from roads. Both are necessities in a modern state, and thus it's entirely proper for the government to help ensure that all have access to them. I just don't want to be treated by the healthcare equivalent of the DOT.
Thats how I feel. Anything provided by the Government would be crap... look at our schools, the DMV, Social programs etc...

I wouldn't trust these people with a match, let alone my healthcare.

CMK_Eagle

Registered Member
Thats how I feel. Anything provided by the Government would be crap... look at our schools, the DMV, Social programs etc...
The only issue is that without any government intervention, there will be many who can't afford any healthcare, and who end up costing more to treat due to lack of preventative care. IMO the ideal solution would be one where the government steps in to such a degree that everyone has access to basic care, but which strengthens market mechanisms to improve efficiency.

Unfortunately, it's still socialized healthcare, so the right won't go for it, and it still allows private companies to make a profit, so neither would the left.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Unfortunately, it's still socialized healthcare, so the right won't go for it, and it still allows private companies to make a profit, so neither would the left.
And thats a problem within itself... This is an issue I think I can see both sides of the table. I'm a capitalist, and I'm all for private companies making a profit. At the same point health care is one of those things that everyone needs from Bill Gates to that bum on the street.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
if you look at Canada then it's obvious how government provided health care doesn't work, there are people that need surgery that are on waiting lists (sometimes for years) because there are just too many people and not enough doctors and now many people aren't willing to work as doctors.

it's an all around bad idea.

Limiting it to flu shots would should be about as far as it goes if it goes at all, tax money shouldn't be spent on the people that barely pay taxes who many of them, not all spend their money on alcohol and cigarettes which will lead them to need to get healthcare.

If government provided healthcare is established then it should be only for the people who follow certain rules such as no smoking, no drugs, no alcohol because all of these things hurt you.

CMK_Eagle

Registered Member
if you look at Canada then it's obvious how government provided health care doesn't work
Problems with the Canadian system show why a single-payer system would be a bad idea for the US, but it's a bit much to extrapolate that to an indictment of any government involvement in healthcare.

Brandon77

Registered Member
I'm not going to say that government shouldn't help out in some areas of healthcare. I think in many ways, it is one way in which the government can protect our God-given rights to pursue life, liberty and happiness, and it is therefore justified. The question is how can it be done while maintaining free market competition and how can it be done so that every mother with a kid with a runny nose isn't using government tax dollars to go to the doctor. Premiums will have to be kept high to avoid cases of abuse and waste. I do like what Romney did in Massachusetts. Why isn't health insurance considered in the same terms as auto liablility and other types of insurance. The more buyers in a market, the more prices go down for the rest of us who already pay our own health insurance bills. I don't know why we would be opposed to that. Cheaper for those who do have it. Cheaper for those who need it. We all win.