• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Social Situations

Kibi

Babeasaurus Sex
So because we're communicating through text/typing it can sometimes be hard to convey emotions correctly (even with the epic win of emoticons!!)

My question is:

Do you feel like you are able to read social situations on the net well?

Do you know when you are disliked or when people are exasperated at you?

Do you care?

Personally I think I am quite good at knowing how to read situations I generally am able to say what needs to be said without over exertion, however I do worry too much sometimes about how I come across (not all the time...but too much for my liking)

I'm quite comfortable being myself on here and to be honest..I dont really care if people dont like me but I'd rather not be mean or piss people off.

:)

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I always feel that I read most situations correctly, but then later I turn out to be wrong. haha

I have a real hard time reading people in face to face situations as well...which is why when I play poker, I have to rely on betting my hand vs. playing the player.

Reactions: Sim

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm pretty good at reading people over the internet, the only issue I have is when people are being sarcastic. At times it's really easy to read, but at other times you don't know if people are joking around or being serious, since you can't see their facial expressions.

Dabs

Registered Member
People (on other forums) have always told me I was a blunt person.....I prefer the word honest~
I am in real life, what I am in cyber land~
I can be rude, can be bitchy, but most of the time, I am a pleasant person, fun to be around and I have a great sense of humor.
Sometimes people say they have a hard time reading my posts...sarcastic or mean, etc......but I am always funning, most generally.
And the use of my (~LoL~) usually is a good tell sign that I am messin around *smiles*
But I admit, there are some people I can't read over the internet very well.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
If I know people fairly well, I can read them much better on the Internet. I don't really give a shit what people think about me because I know my friends love me and they know who I am and how I am, and appreciate me for that.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Unless I know about persons' character a bit, I'm likely to get confused.
It's the same with other persons. If they don't know anything about me, they'll misunderstand me.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I'm pretty good at reading people over the internet, the only issue I have is when people are being sarcastic. At times it's really easy to read, but at other times you don't know if people are joking around or being serious, since you can't see their facial expressions.
I agree with this. Sarcasm is the easiest thing to misinterpret online. You don't really know if someone is being serious or not.

Unfortunately, I care what people think too much. I do sometimes get to a point where I don't give a rats ass, but even then, if I know someone doesn't like me, it upsets me sometimes. I try to always keep an open mind about people online though.

Sim

Registered Member
It seems to me that online communication is just different from "real life" communication, not more or less precize. But it would be wrong to apply the same yardstick to people I meet online, as to people I know "real life": It's just different details and aspects you see, but not "wrong" ones.

In "real life", subtle attributes get more emphasis, like facial expressions, the appearance of a particular person, and you may more easily feel awe or look down on someone, based on nothing more than the subtle ideas of how you'd compare when other people are around (depending on what kind of audience that be).

When you meet them online, you get a more "pure" impression on their thoughts and ideas, superficial appearences don't play a role, but you only have the real thoughts of a person to deal with, to form an opinion. It may also be the case that some people lay off their superficial mask they often show to people in "real life". And social dynamics are different online, because of that. You more easily sympathize with people who share your thoughts, rather than just your appearance or status or same circle of friends.

I think the problems only arise when someone tries to show attitudes that are obvious when you see them face to face online, when the medium isn't really suited to do that. That can easily be misunderstood then. But on the other side, many people can probably express themselves in a manner that's more easily understood when just read online, than burdened with all these subtle personal signals face to face.

So if you ask me, it's just different, not better or worse. But you have to be aware of the differences.

konboye

Registered Member
Whew, this is my thing. I know when I'm being taken on a ride, online or offline. I just don't care, but I really pity anybody that takes anything some other person says online serious, thats how people get scammed. They lead you on, and you just keep on thinking this is for real, when it isn't. I don't know how to put it, but when you are online, on the internet, never ever let your guard down.

Dabs

Registered Member
Whew, this is my thing. I know when I'm being taken on a ride, online or offline. I just don't care, but I really pity anybody that takes anything some other person says online serious, thats how people get scammed. They lead you on, and you just keep on thinking this is for real, when it isn't. I don't know how to put it, but when you are online, on the internet, never ever let your guard down.[/quote]

I completely agree with this too, and I don't let my guard down in my real life even!
And I have a list I made......for real life or the net life...of characters I try and avoid.
I call it the CLiP List.
Cheaters, Liars & Players.
I can't stand any of'em~