Social Anxiety

Hi guys. Can anyone help me out with my collage projsect? I need people to fill in a questionnaire on social anxiety.

Please be as honest as possible with the questions.

1. What do you think social anxiety is?

2. How would you react to someone who shows signs of anxiety e.g mumbling, shaking, not making eye contact, stumbling words?

3 Would you think someone who is shy is not as intelligent or capable as someone more outgoing?

4. What opinions would you form of someone who is socially anxious?

5. Why do you think people are anxious in social situations? Have you ever felt anxious and if so how did you cope?

6. How do you think people reacted to you?

7. What was your thought process after the event?

RoMiLe

Hi guys. Can anyone help me out with my collage projsect? I need people to fill in a questionnaire on social anxiety.

Please be as honest as possible with the questions.

2. How would you react to someone who shows signs of anxiety e.g mumbling, shaking, not making eye contact, stumbling words?

3 Would you think someone who is shy is not as intelligent or capable as someone more outgoing?

5. Why do you think people are anxious in social situations? Have you ever felt anxious and if so how did you cope?

I used to have SA. These answers are my opinion and may not apply to others who have/had SA.

1. Social Anxiety is a debilitating(Spelling?) mental disorder that can stop someone from enjoying life and achieving their goals.
2. I wouldn't not like them. But being around nervous people tends to make me nervous.
3. Intelligence and capability are two entirely different things. I would say that SA does not make someone less intelligent. It may hold them back though and therefore make them less capable.
4. I would think that they care too much about what other people think of them.
5. For any number of different reasons. People with SA tend to have an inherently negative outlook on the outcome of a social interaction. After an interaction they will analyse every single part of it to see what they thought they did 'wrong'. I have felt anxious and my main method of dealing with the stress was to avoid social interaction as much as possible(this is what really held me back, as I stopped going out at the weekends and stopped attending college).
6. I think I made others feel nervous around me, especially females.
7. Answered in no.5.

PentaCube

Registered Member
I don't think I could really fill that out because they all seem to be questions asked from an outside observer and I am not. I have mild paranoid schizophrenia, very mild, controlled with medication, but it still pops up from time to time. Sometimes being in a crowded room will set me off and I'll just get a little nervous and have to excuse myself. Sometimes it's something as simple as going to one of my classes, it really makes it very difficult sometimes.

A mental disorder that can range from being very mild to very severe. Involves an intense fear of social situations and interation. The sufferer may constantly feel like they are being watched, evaluated and judged, and will try to avoid these situations by all costs. Physical symptoms can included sweating, trembling and shortness of breath.

Me personally? I'd try to make them feel more comfortable and sympathise with them. It would be hard for me to create a more relaxed atmosphere for them cos its likely I wouldn't be in control of the situation myself. I'd tell them I kinda know how they feel. :)

Not at all. Intelligence has nothing to do with shyness etc. Capability in certain things, maybe.

Nothing particular, based on that alone. I have friends with this condition, and I have studied it in psychology, and I am not the most socially competent person in the world by any means.

They get anxious because they feel inadequate and judged. Yes, I sometimes feel reluctant to go out because I don't enjoy social situations as much as the next person. I like to have a good time but I do have some sort of problem with this. Once I'm relaxed, its fine. The thing I find most difficult is having a crowds attention, I can't deal with that at all. I'm very quiet even with my family, until I'm settled.

They assume that I'm being rude or stuck up by being shy. I've had people that I've become close with now tell me that they used to think I was unfriendly because I find it difficult to make small talk and just general conversation because I get nervous. It makes you unapproachable until people take the time to get to know you.

I worry about it for a while afterwards if I've had a particularly bad day with this. Going over the event in my head again and again, that kind of thing.

Thanks guys keep em coming.

CBT is one of the best know ways to overcome social anxiety :)

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
Someone who is uncomfortable in social situations. The person may not be able to cope with being around unfamiliar people and will act in ways that may seem strange to those who aren't socially awkward.

It would make me feel uncomfortable but I'd try not to let that show and appear to ignore it.

No, in certain circumstances I'd be likely to think they maybe more intelligent.

Nothing more than that they were socially anxious.

A lot of social situations can make me feel anxious sometimes. I just try not to let it show and act confident. In other words, I bluff it.

I think I hide it well enough for people not to notice.

I just over analyse things to the point of rediculousness and eventually I come to my senses and let it go.

Corona

Registered Member
Being intimidated by the influences are pressures of society.

Curiousity. Perhaps try to start a conversation.

3. Would you think someone who is shy is not as intelligent or capable as someone more outgoing?
No, I wouldn't think that. Unless we're talking about social capability, but that's obvious.

Nothing really comes to mind.

Inexperience. Fear of looking bad and then getting socially ostracised. And I would just tell myself that life is trying new things.

Normally.

"That wasn't so bad."

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Difficulty adapting to societal conditions and situations. This can either be due to the complexity or nature of the situation, or it can be something one is predisposed to.

I'm generally understanding unless they looked like they had some ulterior motives. It's difficult for some people (myself included) to deal with social situations- the fact that they're talking to me may be a big step for them.

No, introverted or anxious people are often intellectually talented and thoughtful. The sense of 'stupidity' is due to their issue of expressing ideas, not their process of coming up with the.

I'd want to help them work to ease the stress- but I also recognize that sometimes it's difficult.

I've taken medication to cope with social anxiety for many years- both my mother and father have it to some degree. I think a great deal of it is genetic- my grandparents were largely introverted, they had introverted children and so forth. Both my sister and I have some degree of social anxiety.

However, in some cases it's just unfamiliarity. People might feel anxious because they're trying something new, they come from a different place or background.