Soccer Mom's Rights Violated

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
This just happened here a few weeks ago. Her appeal was on Tuesday.

YouTube - Soccer Mom's Rights Violated in Lebanon PA

While the Judge stated his personal opinion about open carry, he did uphold the law and say she did nothing wrong and reinstated her license to carry.

It always tickles me how they use "the kids" when talking about firearms. Funny, we use armored guards for our money, but its suddenly too taboo to protect our kids :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Barbara

Ess Tii Eph Yu
V.I.P.
I'm a little torn on this issue. I'm all for the right to carry, In fact I'm working on getting my license, though in Maryland I know it's not going to happen, right now, however; This is a children's soccer game. Isn't that taking your right a little to far? At some point don't you think there is such a thing as to in your face? Why should children be subjected to that just because you want to prove something? On the flip side I'm also sitting here thinking that if it started off as concealed what's the big gosh darn deal?

After doing a little more research on this I stumbled across this:
Crime

It's the crime breakdown from 2000. Unless this entire county has gone completely downhill I see no reason why she would have a need to carry it on her person to a soccer game. Like one women who was interviewed said. Why can't she just leave it in her car?

Last edited:

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I'm a little torn on this issue. I'm all for the right to carry, In fact I'm working on getting my license, though in Maryland I know it's not going to happen, right now, however;
You have between a .000000000000000000000000001% and 0% of getting a carry license in Maryland. I've already barked up that tree.... Link Unless you have massive amounts of money and/or have had repeated threads on your life you still just might get one.

This is a children's soccer game. Isn't that taking your right a little to far?
What? Bad guys don't abduct and hurt children? Like I said... its funny people always pull the children card. We have armored guards for our money, but its too taboo a subject for the kids... Think we have our priorities backwards much?

At some point don't you think there is such a thing as to in your face?
Is my freedom of speech too much in your face? How about freedom of religion... sure seems that Islams are certainly in your face, don't hear much of an outcry to ban that. :rolleyes:

Why should children be subjected to that just because you want to prove something?
You can't shelter kids your whole life. There are bad people in the world. Pretending guns and bad people aren't there aren't going to make them go away. It's a healthy respect for guns that prevent accidents, not hiding them from your kids. When you hide them and keep it taboo is when they find them and accidents happen.

On the flip side I'm also sitting here thinking that if it started off as concealed what's the big gosh darn deal?
There is a big deal between concealed and open carry. In pretty much all states open carry is a right (right to bear arms) with no need for any license. You need a license to carry concealed in all but 2 states. A right not exercised is a right lost (as I'm sure you are finding out in Maryland) :shake:
------
It's the crime breakdown from 2000. Unless this entire county has gone completely downhill I see no reason why she would have a need to carry it on her person to a soccer game. Like one women who was interviewed said. Why can't she just leave it in her car?
"Excuse me man who is abducting my child, let me go to my car to get my gun so I can stop you from taking my child"

Last edited:

Barbara

Ess Tii Eph Yu
V.I.P.
You have between a .000000000000000000000000001% and 0% of getting a carry license in Maryland. I've already barked up that tree.... Link Unless you have massive amounts of money and/or have had repeated threads on your life you still just might get one.
I know. When I win the megamillions I figure that will be a good day to get it. XD

What? Bad guys don't abduct and hurt children? Like I said... its funny people always pull the children card. We have armored guards for our money, but its too taboo a subject for the kids... Think we have our priorities backwards much?
It's not that it's a taboo subject for all kids. My stance on this is similar to my stance on violent video games. Some kids can handle it and some kids can't. In this cause it turns into some kids may not be affected by it while others may have a hard time coping with the idea of guns being around them. It stems from the fact that it is a taboo subject to kids.

Now I must wonder how old these children are. Funny how the press conveniently forgot that one, no? A little shady on their part in my opinion.

Is my freedom of speech too much in your face? How about freedom of religion... sure seems that Islams are certainly in your face, don't hear much of an outcry to ban that. :rolleyes:
Wow. Words on my part must have been worded horribly. I just never agreed much with the whole "Flaunt it if you've got it" stance. Just because I have the freedom of speech doesn't mean I should go around screaming anything I want at any given time. Just because I have the freedom of religion doesn't mean I should be making anti- any religion comments.

You can't shelter kids your whole life. They're are bad people in the world. Pretending guns and bad people aren't there aren't going to make them go away. It's a healthy respect for guns that prevent accidents, not hiding them from your kids. When you hide them and keep it taboo is when they find them and accidents happen.
And who are you to decide when someone else should stop sheltering their children. Does that not violate their rights? As I stated before this entire thing is dependent on how old these children are. Are we talking 5 year olds or 10 year olds? But the sentiment remains. How do you know how these children are developmentally? Children as with all people are a case to case basis.

There is a big deal between concealed and open carry. In pretty much all states open carry is a right (right to bear arms) with no need for any license. You need a license to carry concealed in all but 2 states. A right not exercised is a right lost (as I'm sure you are finding out in Maryland) :shake:
I was implicating that if the women was originally carrying it as concealed then what's the big deal if she brought it or not. If it was the parents that happened to notice, not the children, then by all means why should her license have been revoked? The parents in this case rose a stink about something that the children apparently had not noticed as it was portrayed by the media. And if it was the children then I'm sure the media would have played up on that.

"Excuse me man who is abducting my child, let me go to my car to get my gun so I can stop you from taking my child"
Actually a gun would probably not help you in that case. I don't know how many cases of abduction you've heard happening right in front of the parents watchful eye because I haven't heard of to many.

This whole thing to me is a dilemma. I have no idea where I should be rooting right now.

Last edited:

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I know. When I win the megamillions I figure that will be a good day to get it. XD
Just move to PA. All you need is $30 bucks and a clean criminal record :)

It's not that it's a taboo subject for all kids. My stance on this is similar to my stance on violent video games. Some kids can handle it and some kids can't. In this cause it turns into some kids may not be affected by it while others may have a hard time coping with the idea of guns being around them. It stems from the fact that it is a taboo subject to kids.
Games and protecting our kids are different. I open carry just like this lady does. I have my kids with me. I've never seen a kid or a soccer mom freak out, i've never seen anyone freak out for that matter. Like I said, we protect money with guns, but have large "gun free zones" where our children are daily because people want to stick their head in the sand and pretend it will never happen at their school. They understand the need to protect paper... our children, not so much :-/

Wow. Words on my part must have been worded horribly. I just never agreed much with the whole "Flaunt it if you've got it" stance. Just because I have the freedom of speech doesn't mean I should go around screaming anything I want at any given time. Just because I have the freedom of religion doesn't mean I should be making anti- any religion comments.
I was talking about radical Islam... you know the terrorists. They certainly seem to be pushing their religion on the rest of us. Ever heard of Sharia Law? How about "Code Pink"... they are certainly offensive with their free speech... Again... I never hear an outcry to suppress their rights. Gun owners like myself get hassled all the time. A right is a right is a right. They are all equally protected.

And who are you to decide when someone else should stop sheltering their children. Does that not violate their rights?As I stated before this entire thing is dependent on how old these children are. Are we talking 5 year olds or 10 year olds? But the sentiment remains. How do you know how these children are developmentally? Children as with all people are a case to case basis.
The irony just sucks here :lol: Nuff said...

I was implicating that if the women was originally carrying it as concealed then what's the big deal if she brought it or not. If it was the parents that happened to notice, not the children, then by all means why should her license have been revoked? The parents in this case rose a stink about something that the children apparently had not noticed as it was portrayed by the media. And if it was the children then I'm sure the media would have played up on that.
That's the thing. In PA you do not need a license to open carry. Most open carriers have licenses because it makes life easier transporting and in situations where open carry is illegal, and/or too big of a hassle. Also in the winter time, just throwing a coat over your pistol is considered concealed, thus you need a license. Riddle me this tho... what would have happened if she open carried and didn't have a license? It's perfectly legal to do that. You can't be forced to conceal as you would be breaking the law since you need a license to conceal.

Actually a gun would probably not help you in that case. I don't know how many cases of abduction you've heard happening right in front of the parents watchful eye because I haven't heard of to many.
Your choice, would you rather have one or not. There is no fuzzy logic here.

Barbara

Ess Tii Eph Yu
V.I.P.
Just move to PA. All you need is $30 bucks and a clean criminal record :)
HOT DAMN IT'S A DEAL!

Games and protecting our kids are different. I open carry just like this lady does. I have my kids with me. I've never seen a kid or a soccer mom freak out, I've never seen anyone freak out for that matter. Like I said, we protect money with guns, but have large "gun free zones" where our children are daily because people want to stick their head in the sand and pretend it will never happen at their school. They understand the need to protect paper... our children, not so much :-/
Unfortunately it was the best analogy I could come up with. As for people freaking out I must wonder do you know these people you walk by. Do you see them everyday? I want to get a feel from where you are coming from on this one.

And a giant thank you for cohesive responses. You've got me thinking and I like it

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
HOT DAMN IT'S A DEAL!

Unfortunately it was the best analogy I could come up with. As for people freaking out I must wonder do you know these people you walk by. Do you see them everyday? I want to get a feel from where you are coming from on this one.

And a giant thank you for cohesive responses. You've got me thinking and I like it
In my sig is a link to my blog. You can read about some of my open carry experiences. I enjoy healthy debate :)

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
In the states where open carry is allowed, are you allowed to carry on your guns when you get on an airplane? If the plane disallows it, are they violating your rights?

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
In the states where open carry is allowed, are you allowed to carry on your guns when you get on an airplane? If the plane disallows it, are they violating your rights?
It's a federal felony to have a loaded gun on a plane. You won't be able to get passed security either way. You are allowed however to transport it in your luggage provided 1. you declare it at check in and 2. its unloaded. Carrying on planes is a can of worms that has been opened in the gun community long ago, but that is a whole different discussion. Carrying at a city park at least in Pennsylvania is not state crime, nor is it a federal crime.

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Was there an uproar against such being a federal felony? Are there people who argue that it should be allowed otherwise it's a violation of your rights? I'm just wondering at which point is prohibiting carrying a firearm openly an acceptable rule, and at which point it becomes a violation of rights.