So when you meet an online friend in person...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mirage, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

When you finally meet somebody in person that you've known online for a long time, by what name do you call them?

Their actual name or their username?

To me it seems like I will call certain people by their usernames automatically. That might be weird though so who knows.

I once met a guy from here named "RarePD" and I called him RarePD for about 5 seconds and decided it was best to go with real names.

Anybody else ever wonder about what you will do if you meet somebody?

2. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

I only met one person who I knew online first. She and I were on first name basis anyway so it wasn't that difficult.
    The only reason I haven't met anyone else from online is the distance. Most I know don't live here.

Van likes this.
  3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I end up using the username unless it's a mix of digits like hybrix20394. Until now I don't feel like using Jeanie's real name. I still call her with the old username I've known her when we speak offline.

4. Cheomesh

Cheomesh Registered Member

Exactly like this, word for word.

She turned out to be crazy.

M.

5. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

When I went for a chat meet up I did online names first so we could get it right then switched to real names. Now for some others I went straight to real names because I pretty much already knew them except for a face to face because I had already been talking to them on the phone as well as online.

6. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

I don't know how you define crazy, but similar to my situation, she wasn't exactly what I'd call normal.. I wonder if it was the same person.. LOL

7. padd

padd Registered Member

Real name of course. I find it weird calling somebody by their username.

8. Cheomesh

Cheomesh Registered Member

Funnily enough, she was up the street from me, 10 min drive. She was a great friend until I decided to make a jab at her boyfriend, who was my friend first. Been a year since. Good riddance, I say.

M.

9. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I met someone from the radio station chat in person and his name was Ogar in the chat and that's what I called him. If it is an odd username, I politely ask them what their real name is if they don't mind telling me. Let's just have GF convention and find out what we call each other. :nod:

Van and Nightsurfer like this.
  10. KZA_GFX

KZA_GFX Registered Member

i met somebody from online once and dont think we used names it was just "hey you" and stuff like that but thats because i didnt know his real name and his username was pottymouth