So what's wrong with Xmas?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by ysabel, Oct 26, 2008.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Are you one of those who gets offended when people use Xmas instead of Christmas?

Or are you one of those who use Xmas and got reproached by someone for writing it that way?

“Xmas” is not an attempt to exclude Christ from Christmas. It's an abbreviation of the Greek (the language in which the New Testament was written) spelling of the word “Christ” with the “X” representing the Greek letter chi.

2. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I don't get offended if people say "Xmas" but I never spell it like that myself. I am quite funny about shortening words down so that's my reason for not doing it. Looking at it written down makes it look sort of ugly to me. "Xmas" sounds like it's something bad where as "Christmas" gets me smiling!

3. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

wow i never knew that.....i wasnt sure where the word Xmas came from, thanks for telling...... :)

I use the word chirstmas more, just coz i like the sound of it better, i dont really like the word Xmas........doesnt sound so nice as christmas

4. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

It is offencive to many Christians, because it does take away the 'Christ' from Christmas, which is pointless considering that it's a celebration of the birth of Christ.
    It's true that 'X' is of Greek origin, however, it's also likely true that most people don't know about the significance of 'X' but they just spell it that way because they are lazy and and because they choose to ignore the real meaning behind Christmas. Keeping to the Greek geek theme martyrs, such as my-own patron Saint Andrew; 'X' was how they chose to be crucified, because they felt unworthy of being crucified in the same way Jesus Christ was. Even Saint Peter [The first Pope] chose to be crucified upside-down, hence the symbol of the upside down cross in the Vatican, and not as many fanatics believe to be a symbol of the antichrist [though it's used as a symbol of the antichrist by many too].
    It's a nice idea that to think that 'Xmas' is acceptable because of it's religious meaning, but most people are not Greek, and we are in modern times. Why have a language that uses words such as Christmas if we are going to change it?

'Christmas' it has always been for me, and 'Christmas' it will always be for me.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  5. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

Doesn't bother me what iota and if they don't mention any of it to me the more the better. Never did like holidays.

6. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

[​IMG]

One day, you'll open your window and ask some village boy to run to the butchers and get you that turkey to bring to the young cripple down the road. :p

7. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

Actually I won't because I'm not fond of children either.

Oooh_snap and RATTIE like this.
  8. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

Like Blueyes im not really that bothered how either way.
    If someone uses Xmas rather than Christmas then that is down to them,i wont get offended,and wouldnt expect someone to give me a telling off for using Xmas.
    Its a word,either way its written.

9. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I never knew where the 'x' came from so thanks! And I doubt a lot of people I know do either... so I can see why it miiight offend some christians, but it shouldn't i guess.
    Anyways it doesn't offend me but i'll never use 'xmas'.. will always be 'christmas' to me, mainly cos the former looks kinda ugly. :-/

10. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

We call it Noël here. It doesn't make it any less of a Christmas celebration. I'm glad we don't have Christians protesting the absence of Christ's name in the feast.

I think some people just get very sensitive with Xmas because they feel it's an attempt at secularisation of Christmas. Like Dino pointed out, some don't know where X came from yet they may use it out of laziness. But does laziness in writing automatically mean you have an agenda behind it (taking out Christ) or that you refuse to acknowledge the meaning of Christmas?

It's not the first time we've used symbols borrowed from other origins. We use Arabic and Roman numerals without necessarily having to be Arabs and Romans when it's easier to write 12345 or I II III IV IV, than one two three four five.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008