So, what is Atheism, exactly?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by PretzelCorps, Apr 27, 2008.

1. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

Okay, don't take the question literally --> I *know* what atheism IS.

What I want to know is where people feel that atheism falls, categorically. I mean, really, at the core isn't atheism just another religion, with its own set of cliques and rules (following the one commandment --> 1. Thou must utterly hate God (both entity and idea) and His followers)

My beliefs? I can tolerate almost ANY religion, so long as you can back it up to some extent with SOME sort of logical argument (don't get me wrong, I've met plenty of worthy atheists, as well).

What drives me NUCKING FUTS about atheism is seemingly ever-present claim of "I absolutely hate religion; who the fuck are you to tell me what to believe?? This is what *I* believe!! If you don't believe what *I* believe, then clearly you are below me in intelligence, morality, and humanity."

I mean, I am simply appalled sometimes at the fact that so many people can call themselves "intelligent-er", and yet not see the CLEAR hypocrisies in their arguments.

(again, I'm not talking about ALL atheists)

Me, personally? I'm inclined to believe in something more than nothing (though, I quickly can grasp the idea of "nothing" as well)...

But in all honesty, the people I'm quickest to respect, opinion-wise?

Agnosticism. At least THEY'RE willing to ADMIT that they're nothing more than confused, little humans, searching for answers they're not likely to ever find in this lifetime.

The Kicker
    --------------
    ...I imagine I'm possibly about to be torn apart by BOTH (hardline) atheists and (hardline) Christians?

Atheists - Clearly PretzelCorps is stupid, as he hasn't entirely embraced our beliefs. Perhaps if we wish him dead, it'll actually happen.

Christians - Clearly PretzelCorps is going to Hell, as he admits to having possible doubts in our religion.

Sometimes I just wish EVERYONE would shut up.
    --------------

EXQEX9 likes this.

2. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

Christians aren't going to tear you apart. We have the same thoughts about (some) atheist as you do. It strikes me that the core of a lot of atheisism is a hatred of God. If you've ever seen any of the atheist bands, its like every album cover and 3/4 of the songs are anti-God. geez- do you have something else to sing about? or is that all you think about?
    I wonder if you prodded into their past what would you find?

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

It would be ideal if atheists just means atheists: people who don't believe in existence of diety. Or that Christians just means Christians: people who belief in Jesus Christ. The problem is when people start to take it upon themselves to convert others thinking it's for humanity's own good. "You shouldn't believe in God, that makes you stupid and uneducated...come see it my way" or "You should believe in a God otherwise your life is meaningless and you are evil...come see it my way." Like there's no choice but to defend one's belief or be converted to another's.

Why can't some people just believe what they want and leave the others alone without acting on superiority complex impulses? If one thinks another's life is truly pathetic compared to his because of his religious (dis)belief, then simply be content for oneself and move on.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  4. garza

garza New Member

Atheism is not a religion. By definition a religion must include the recognition of some god or gods. An atheist cannot hate God. If you hear someone say, 'I hate God', then you know that person is not truly an atheist because it is not possible to hate something you do not believe exists. A theist believes there is a god. An atheist does not believe there is a god. Some atheists, and I'm one, do not believe that a Christian who really believes the Bible can be a moral person. I do not believe you can find good moral values in a book that portrays a God who is supposed to be perfect and yet who approves murder, rape, robbery, infanticide, genocide, slavery, and incest. If a Christian leads a morally upright life it is in spite of, not because of, the teachings of the Bible. I read that Bible all the way through for the first time at the age of eight. That took me six months. When I finished I was an atheist. My studies of and about the Bible and my experiences for the past 60 years have done nothing but re-enforce that initial reaction.

5. PretzelCorps

A little incorrect --> By definition, a religion is:

...among others, not one of which includes the mention of belief-in-God(s) as a necessary function of the word.

Furthermore, religion is commonly associated with an almost maniacal need to convert others to the same belief (for multiple reasons: (1) To feel better/smarter than the convertee? (2) A sense of moral obligation? (3) Just because someone else told you to?)

For every "Christian" hell-bent on converting the world to Christianity, I've met an "Atheist" with a similar attitude.

Some observations I've noted:

(1) Saying that the Bible is far-fetched and contradictory does not disprove all possibility of the existence of a benevolent/malevolent deity --> At best, all it proves is that the existence of the Christian version of "God" may be up for questioning.

(2) This is absolutely SILLY. Calling someone a bad, and morally wrong person because they support a contradictory text is completely and utterly asinine.

It's ALMOST as bad as a Christian saying an Atheist cannot ever be a moral person, because they DON'T believe in God/the Bible.

This does nothing but enforce the entire point of this thread.

(3) God is portrayed as approving "murder, rape, robbery, infanticide, genocide, slavery, and incest." Therefore, there are NO good morals in the Bible?

I think this one can go without any explanation. :sick:

6. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I think many atheists not only deny the existence of any god, but are angry or spite all that do believe in any god. Although most of the atheists on these boards aren't like that, I have to think that most in the real world are.

7. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Atheists don't believe in any deities. That's really all there is to it. We tend to have drastically different philosophies beyond that one point of consensus. I've spoken with pantheist atheists who revere nature and the universe, humanist atheists who revere humanity and our accomplishments, mystical atheists who have Eastern-flavored beliefs about the oneness of it all, pragmatic atheists who put scientific orthodoxy on a pedestal, and rationalist atheists who hold a priori knowledge in similarly high regard.

I really don't see how it matters if we call atheism a religion or not. That's just semantics. As for the fact that not all atheists are perfect people: so? That has no bearing on whether or not we happen to be right. Atheism isn't a normative viewpoint about what a person ought to do. It's not a club or a fashion accessory. It's a descriptive viewpoint concerning what is.

What I think agnostics miss, is just how fallible knowledge is in general. Sure, we can't be certain that there is no God, but we also can't be certain that the sun will rise tomorrow, or that snow is white, or some cats orange, etc. Would anyone consider themselves an agnostic on everything? Nobody lives in accordance with the idea that no possibility is more likely than any other, so it would seem hypocritical to say that we think as much.

Then again, I'm sure that some consider both atheism and theism to be equally justified viewpoints. I just can't imagine why, all things considered.

8. PretzelCorps

That is not agnosticism; that is skepticism, and there is a huge difference.

One speculates that the Sun will rise tomorrow, because it has in the past, without interruption for the entirety of recorded human history.

One speculates that snow is white, because the WORD 'white' is descriptive of that aspect of snow. The whiteness of snow predates the word associated with whiteness --> Since everyone agrees, snow IS white (whether you believe we all perceive the same white, or not), it's pretty safe to assume that snow. Is. White.

One may easily be unsure about God, however, considering that the entire discussion revolves around an idea that is exterior to anything within the realm of human perception.

I do. There's very good arguments for both; unfortunately, most people cannot open their minds enough to recognize any validity to the other side's arguments.

Frankly, I can't imagine why all people aren't "agnostic" (they technically ARE), considering the fact that there is NO physical evidence to prove or DISprove the existence of God.

9. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I'm athiest but I don't hate everything about other religions. That one commandment is bull shit.

10. PretzelCorps

Well, I guess you aren't a religious atheist then.

I never said ALL atheists are hateful (though, it was bound, of course, to be taken that way :rolleyes: by someone)

I was talking about the atheists that constantly talk down theists, and try to convince them they're wrong / bad people for believing in a religion.