So this dude stole my stuff...

My roommate threw a party over break, and one of his guests stole 9 Xbox360 games, and a $400 camera from the apartment. (only 5 of the games were mine, the rest was from another roommate)

However, he left like, 3 bags of his stuff and other assorted things lying around. Originally these were going to be collateral. Now, it's been almost 3 weeks, and his stuff reflects badly on us in routine inspections. Also, we haven't made any progress on the games or camera. Since the junk is getting to be a problem, my apartment has pretty much decided to get rid of it, like throw it away, or donate it to goodwill. Then I remembered I'm having a garage sale this weekend. Would it be morally reprehensible of me to make a profit while cleaning up our apartment?

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
Nope, I'd sell it all. Has the guy asked about his belongings? Or made any offer to give back the stuff he stole in exchange for his things? If not, he has probably already sold your things, so i would sell his if you know for sure he is the one who stole your belongings.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
What kind of stuff did he leave? I don't see anything wrong with selling it. Why didn't you report it if you know who stole your shit?

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
If he's made no move to return the items he stole from you in return for his, then go a head and sell them. It sounds like he's had long enough to return your stuff and pick up his, so you may at least make some money towards replacing what he stole.

I'd say do it. I mean it'd be different if he just took some 'cornflakes' or something, but stealing all of that, frankly, I'd sell it and tell him too bad.

What kind of stuff did he leave? I don't see anything wrong with selling it. Why didn't you report it if you know who stole your shit?
Clothes, pillows, some headphones in the style I've been looking for, star ocean discs 2 and 3 which were in the cupboard for some reason, and some other things as I haven't really given it a go-through.

so i would sell his if you know for sure he is the one who stole your belongings.
yeah, apparently he

1. isn't exactly known for his reliability
  2. spent a lot of time in my room (where the $400 camera was). That's where his game discs were, and his headphones, etc.
  3. owns a 360
Make sure it won't get you into trouble first though.
Actually, having it here has already gotten us in trouble, as low grades on keeping our apartment clean can get us kicked out or moved.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I don't think there's anything to consider. Sell it.

However, have you confronted him? Thought about involving the police? You have his stuff as evidence that he was in the immediate area where your items used to be.

Arcadoc

Registered Member
You should have called the police immediately after it happened and made a report on it. Then you should have pressed charges against him. It might not sound like the "cool" thing to do, but a thief is a thief and there's only one way to handle a thief. Teach them a lesson they'll never forget.
Since you've already waited weeks though, the only thing you can do about it now is to first sell all his stuff to recoup as much of your money as possible. Then go find him and take the rest out his hide. That's probably the only way he'll learn that you won't put up with him stealing from you.