So is the whole waterboarding=torture thing dead

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by MenInTights, May 14, 2009.

1. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

...now that we know the Democrats were in the early meetings where the CIA went over all this stuff? I understand there are a lot of people passionate about it and they will want Pelosi charged with treason just like the Bush lawyers and that's cool, I can respect that position.

But, my question is do you think the issue will be dropped like polonium filled potato now that Democrats are caught up in it? Or will they stand on their principles and continue on, regardless of who gets taken down in the process? I've thought for awhile that the Democrat party could care less about the issue, it's just a way to keep the negative news on the previous administration.

Last edited: May 14, 2009

2. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Slightly off topic sorry;

Im not 100% familiar with US politics but is the system so partisan that there is only party concerns rather than individual representation?

For example in the OP should it not be people who are accountable rather than parties? I just always get the impression that in the US; who holds office(be it red or blue) is more significant than the people who run the office(the ones you voted in). Do you vote for people or parties? ...and the same with the media and reporting, is the focus on the people in charge or the parties in charge?

Sorry to take this thread off the tracks before it has started, I think it is relevant.

3. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

It should be people, people, people. Unfortunately, we have 2 parties that demonize and divide. So, you end up with these situations where a party is making a big deal about something in order to get another voter or two. With, this issue, the Democrats have been driving the charge, so now we'll see.

4. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I think the waterboarding outcry will lose some of its momentum because of partisan politics, some because all scandals tend to die down after time, and some because many of those responsible are no longer in charge.

5. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I can't speak for other Democrats, but I don't care who was wrapped up in it. Waterboarding is torture, and utterly abhorrent, and those involved need to answer for it.

MenInTights likes this.
  6. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Maybe we should just fire half of Congress and replace them with other parties, that might lower the total stupidity and backstabbing levels.

7. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Yes I believe the issue will be droppped now that we're finding out Pelosi was caught up in it. I don't see what Obama's purpose was in releasing this information if he keeps saying no one is going to be charged, other than fueling more and more negative press on the Republicans. Which goes against his whole stance of doing away with bipartisanship and change in Washington.
    ------
    Most people vote for their party. Down here in south Texas they call it la palanca, they walk in to the voting booth and pull the Democrat lever voting for every Democrat for every office. I've pretty much found that to be common in other places. Most people are partisan.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  8. SubZero

SubZero Registered Member

If the CIA/military determine that their prisoner contains data vital to the security of their country, they should have the right to interrogate him using techniques like waterboarding.

9. Sakhalinskii

Sakhalinskii Registered Member

It's not exactly dead for the thousands or so people being subjected to it by US institutions. The Democrats and Republicans are essentially two slightly different wings to the main US Business Party, which is why they tend not to care about this sort of thing. It explains the similar apathy towards gay and transgender rights.

Considering the amount of BS the US does overseas, its institutions don't exactly have the ethical authority to freely use waterboarding.